13

ROME POV

This was a mistake.

Coming home, working with Dad, leaving the Bachelor life behind...

I hadn't been able to shake Georgia from my thoughts. Seeing her casually chat with Drake at the office upset me more than I expected.

Then Scout offered him the first cookie.

I always got the first cookie.

Logically my sister was being polite to a stranger which was a show of kindness. This was a genuine positive shift but something inside me burned with anger. I could tell it hurt her feelings that I didn't hug her before I left Dad's office. I also knew how she was upset that I didn't say a word when I got home then stayed in the apartment all night.  

I even ordered myself a pizza for dinner.  Whatever Georgia made smelled incredible but I couldn't be near them.

Yesterday I was busy working on projects for Dad and got so focused it made no sense to take time off and play with the kids.  

This was easier.  

Drown out everything else until all I see is what's right in front of me.

Now I don't have a choice.

The morning was a blur of activity and I was helping Dad get a few things at Costco including  sides of salmon he planned to grill. We had been quiet, knowing Georgia and Mariah were baking cookies and putting together side dishes for Drake's visit.

He didn't press me but I could see he was upset at my attitude and did not quite know how to react. I grabbed two bags of tortilla chips to go with the mango peach salsa Mariah loved and a bag of avocados, adding them to the cart. Dad was focused on produce, deciding to get more Honeycrisp apples as well as the items Mariah and Georgia had on our list.

I picked up a case of paper towels and slipped them under the cart then noticed my Dad study me.  It was a look I remembered from high school when he would almost coax me into sharing what was on my mind with just a few words.

"Are you happy, Rome?"

His question caught me off guard, my mind trying to process what he meant.

"I'm serious, Son. If you aren't happy at home and want to go back we would understand."

I let out a long sigh and looked away, trying to figure out how to answer. "I thought I was happy but just... everything feels complicated."

"Uncomplicate it."

His simple answer made me laugh. "Yeah, cause that's easy."

Dad paused, reaching past me for aluminum foil. "Rome, you and Georgia are both blind... though I think at least for her it's a defense mechanism so she can protect herself."

He walked into the next aisle with the cart and I stood dumbfounded.

I had no right to act this way. She did nothing wrong. Georgia only acted as promised, protecting the kids and focusing on their well being.  Her actions were consistent with her words.  She owed me nothing but had been generous, especially with how she encouraged my relationships with Archer and Scout.

I'm the one who pulled away when things got intense and I realized I made the wrong impression.... Which did not help things at all.

Damnit.

We finished the shopping trip and headed home, but I noticed a car I did not recognize in the driveway.

Shit.