8

GEORGIA POV

Scout was even more excited today while her Dad and brother took turns jumping or helping her dive. I stayed with Archer in the shallow end before he was ready for his nap then cuddled up in the shade.

It was a gorgeous afternoon.  A bit too hot, but that was no problem when sitting by a fan in the shade or swimming in the cool water.

My mind was a blur from the previous day and evening. Rome was all over the place, acting like a kind younger version of his Dad one moment then a douchebag frat boy the next.

It was confusing, at best.

Of course I was deeply hurt seeing Katie, especially since Kraig and Mark clearly told Rome how awful she was. I didn't expect him to know everything about the whole mess but hoped he would trust his friends.

Then Miles...

He's a nice guy but I could not feel completely comfortable around him thanks to the Kayla drama. She was a nasty brat, treating not just Miles but everyone around her like trash. The way she loudly spoke into Scout's face last time she was here made me see red. I pulled the sweet girl back into her room for a moment held her close, softly reminding her how smart and brave she was.

I could tell it helped.  Scout may be a toddler, but she pays close attention to everything happening and has feelings she was still learning to express.  She was a sponge, absorbing the way adults act in her presence to figure out how she should be.

Mariah also hated the way Kayla was but knew she couldn't control her brother. Their toxic dance made me thankful I was single.

Why would I want to get near anything like that?

Why bother with any hint of a relationship if it won't last and will just bring pain?

Archer let out a soft growl in my arms which made me smile.

He really was a good baby, but all the screaming last night was hard for him. Scout was a mess as well, but thankfully I got them settled and was able to sleep a little myself.  Archer was usually pretty good about sleeping through noise but I can't blame him for being upset with all the yelling.

It spiked a panic attack in me as well, so singing lullabies was as much for Archer as it was for my own peace of mind.

Max's phone rang on the table and I held it up then swiped to answer, seeing it was Mariah.

"Hey, Ry!  Gotcha on speaker outside!"

She chuckled, "Gigi! How is pool day going?"

Max laughed, climbing out of the pool as Rome helped Scout float on her back in the deep end. "Really well. Your husband is on his way to grab his phone so he can speak to you."

"Wait, Gigi? How are you doing today?"

I knew what she meant.

Mariah was more worried about me than she was her brother or stepson.

I let out a long sigh, "I'll be okay, Ry. Scout is being the best Duckling ever and Archer just passed out so I'll get back in the water soon."

"Well, lets just do pizza for dinner. I know you have meals prepped but we can save those for lunches. I want a relaxing night where we watch a Disney movie and escape the world awhile."

I grinned, "That sounds like a perfect dream, Ry..."

Max approached and I handed him the phone. "Gi, feel free to head into the pool and I'll monitor the baby."

"See ya, Ry!" I called into the phone before peeking at Archer. He was knocked out cold in his stroller now, cool breeze moving his hair while his lips puffed out as he breathed.