22

GEORGIA POV

The first meeting was over.

I flopped onto my bed that night and tried to process everything as well as I could.  Rome and I didn't have much one on one time but I knew there was a lot to be discussed.

I should have been more forthcoming.

The same goes for him.

Scout saying her first word out loud was a shock but we quickly started hearing more of her little voice. When Max got home after lunch and she squealed, "Dada!" he cried.

It was amazing to watch.

Even with all the excitement, I felt the barrier around my heart craft a stronger hold against any possible intruder.

I had to protect myself.

Rome had already broken my trust a number of times.  I couldn't bear to go through that again.

It would end me.

We spent some time letting the kids play while Scout worked on how to use her voice. I was so proud of the sweet toddler, especially the first time she said "Gigi." Mariah and I gently helped her learn pronunciations by enunciating clearly and asking open ended questions she could now answer with her voice as well as sign language.

Rome stretched out on the floor and was a human jungle gym for Archer, laughing while his baby brother tackled and climbed. I had a difficult time watching him with the kids, but knew it was what was best for them. They need to see all of us as a united front. My feelings would need to be set aside for the greater good.

I could just fade into the background to allow this family the time they need to bond.

Dinner was sushi from Max's favorite place and there was plenty of alcohol available.  Mariah and I had been splitting a bottle of wine every night since...

God, it had been a really rough few weeks.

"So, when is your next ultrasound, Ry?"  Rome asked casually, using chopsticks to add some pickled ginger to his tuna sashimi.

Her glass landed with a thud on the table while the air left my lungs in a rush.

Shit.

Oh, shit.

"Mariah?" I whispered, trying to get her to look at me, to fight against the impending panic attack I could see clawing through her.

Her eyes were unfocused before letting out a shaky whisper while turning to her husband.  "You didn't tell him?"

Max looked stunned but shook his head.  "He would have come home, Ry... I couldn't...I just..."

She scooted her chair back and rushed out of the kitchen, feet pounding the steps as she ran to their room.

We were quiet a long moment before Scout's little voice chimed in, "No Baby."

The look in Rome's eyes was one of complete devastation.

He had no clue she lost the baby about 2 weeks ago.

The miscarriage was horrifying.  I woke up to a blood curdling scream and raced to their room as Mariah clutched her stomach with cramps. Blood already pooled underneath her and Max was in shock so I called 911.  He was so out of it he didn't even put on pants over his boxers so I made sure both had clothes on and shoes as well as their ID's and phones with chargers.

It was a relief when the ambulance arrived even though the entire situation scared Scout.

I had always worked well under pressure but once they left and I had the kids settled I broke down. It took me about an hour to get their room cleaned up and dispose of the sheets in an attempt to help her relax when she got home.