12

GEORGIA POV

Archer babbled happily as we rode the elevator to the third floor of Max's office building.

I had the kids' backpack with all their gear slung over my shoulder while little Bear was on my hip and a drink holder in my free hand.

Today we learned Scout was scared of elevator doors. Mariah took her to the steps but I stuck with technology thanks to the chunky baby boy in my arms.  I could have grabbed the stroller but it felt like too much work.

Now I was regretting that choice.

I had been here once before but didn't know anyone besides Dustin, one of the partners. Max and Rome had a meeting this morning so I knew we would be arriving around when it ended.

Why was I so nervous?

I chose a pale blue sundress and had my hair tied in a high ponytail with a blue ribbon. Scout insisted, choosing a pink one for herself which was fashioned like a headband holding her curls away from her face.

Mariah was given the green ribbon, but wore it around her wrist.

We chuckled at how insistent Scout was that the three of us had to coordinate in such a sweet way.  It was obvious she was excited to visit her Dad and brother today so we went along with her requests.

I stepped out of the elevator and walked toward the receptionist desk. "Can I help you?" a bored looking blonde asked, her eyes narrowing at the baby in my arms.

"Here to see Max and Rome Benson," I smiled, standing tall and meeting her gaze.

I had heard about this gal. Max was annoyed at how flirtatious she was and I knew Mariah visited often to basically mark her territory.

She huffed while rolling her eyes, "They're not available. Come back later."

I chuckled, noticing Scout and Mariah join us from the stairwell. "They're expecting us."

The receptionist noticed Mariah and her face fell. She let out a long sigh, "Go to his office. Fine."

Scout gave her a dirty look but Mariah smirked at me, then responded. "Thank you, Erica! Hope you're having a super day."

She led the way, heading down the hall to a large office in the corner that had a small table where I set our drinks. 

"Erica seems nice," I commented sarcastically.

Scout burst out laughing.

We always loved how easily she picked up on our teasing.  Max and Ry are usually upbeat with a penchant for jokes and banter.  I fell into that dynamic without any issue and was always impressed when Scout understood what was going on.

She is smarter than any of us realize.

I let out a loud breath before slipping off my backpack then took a seat at the table, adjusting Archer in my lap.

"Your biceps look awesome, Gigi," Mariah commented with a smirk, landing in Max's office chair with a grin. "The offices look nice but I know he prefers working from home."

"Can't say that I blame him. Being home means your Daddy can have swim time on breaks," I grinned at Scout while giving her a sip of my sweet tea.

She let out a loud "Ahhhh" which made us laugh before crawling into one of the chairs.

Mariah peeked on the desk and chuckled, holding up a photo I had taken of Scout jumping into the deep end while Mariah waited below, grins on their faces. "We've made some great memories, haven't we?"