chapter eleven

Every single year, Isla went to the Sturniolo's house for Thanksgiving. It was tradition. Every time, Isla was always excited especially to see Marylou and Jimmy, they were like her mom and dad. Since she wasn't very close with her own parents, she found the three of them having an irreplaceable bond.

Isla never exactly had the best relationship with her mom and step dad. Her dad passed away from lung cancer when she was nine, and her mom cared very much about him, and so she fell into a deep depression. She remarried a year later to Islas step dad, since she longed to have some sort of love again. Her step dad and mom often argued, and in Islas opinion it was always about the stupidest things.

Her step dad was an alcoholic, he was very strict and he often yelled at Isla and got mad at her for no reason. Because of this, the Sturniolo's were always there for her, and told her she could stay anytime she needed.

Isla knocked twice on the front door.

She usually would just walk in on any other occasion, but since it was a holiday she figured it'd be more polite to knock.

The door swung open, Marylou and Jimmy inside.

"Hey honey! I'm so glad you could make it." Marylou gushed, pulling Isla into a warm hug.

"Yeah. Always a please having you, Isla." Jimmy grinned, also pulling her into a hug.

"Iz!" Chris exclaimed, as his parents stepped to the side so Chris was in Isla's view.

"Hey." Isla said, smiling shyly.

Chris grinned. "What are you waiting for?" He ran towards her and lifted her up in his arms in a hug, lifting her off the floor.

Marylou and Jimmy gave each other same sort of knowing look, and left the room.

Matt and Nick came in soon after, to greet isla.

"HEYYY BITCH!" Nick yelled rather loudly, excited that Isla was there.

His mom popped her head through the door.

"Language, Nicolas." She scolded.

"Sorry, mom." Nick mumbled.

Matt, Isla and Chris giggled at the interaction. Nick rolled his eyes at the three.

"When is the food ready? Im starving." Chris complained to his mom.

"Patience, patience. A good chef takes their time, it'll be worth it in the end." Marylou replied, smiling at her son.

Chris couldn't help but smile back. "Alright alright hurry up though.."

Marylou swatted her hand playfully at the boy to make him go away.

Marylou was right, it was worth the wait. The food was delicious, and as everyone finished off their plates they were soon asking for more.

Thanksgiving was always Isla's favorite day of the year (except for Christmas, of course.) because of the conversation at their dinner table. She felt practically apart of the family, and it felt good to be in a healthy environment like this. Growing up, her parents used to have a healthy relationship until her dad passed away. Since then, she had longed to sit down and have a normal family dinner, and this was the closest she would get.

"That's so embarrassing mom! God, you always tell this story thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure Islas heard it a million times." Chris groaned.

It was true, Isla probably had heard the story a million times, but she loved it every time Marylou retold it.

The story was about the a girl Chris liked, in Freshman year. He'd been secretly crushing on her for a few months, and finally decided to tell Matt and Nick after they'd pressed him about who he liked. As soon as Nick found out who it was, he immediately started trying to convince Chris to tell her. After lots of convincing, Chris finally said he would. He asked Matt and Nick what to do, and how he should tell her.