chapter forty

Isla watched the boy she loved's face drop, as she drove off with her ex in the back of his car.

She blinked back tears threatening to escape, as she thought about how hurt she was.

She was hurt, but yet embarrassed at the same time. How could she do this? She let her feelings get in the way of everything, and tried kissing her drunk best friend. Who, by the way, has a girlfriend. Which she probably just fucked that up for him.

Not only was she embarrassed by herself, but she was annoyed. The hurt she felt, soon turned into anger towards Chris. Although yes, she had messed up, the both of them had, Chris went straight to Scar. He denied everything that he knew damn well was true.

As Markus drove her back, Isla decided that she would take some space from Chris. She knew that it would be for the better though, because the second he tries to talk to her, she knows she would say things she would definitely regret later.
___________________________________

Isla sighed to herself, walking towards her first period.

Of course, her first class of the day was with Chris. Usually, they would hang out and have fun in PE, but the thought of talking to him today honestly made her feel like she was about to throw up.

She made her way into the locker room, grabbing her jacket out of the locker room. She put it on, then walked outside prepared for the mile ahead of her.

Every Monday, their class had to run a mile. It didn't matter if it was raining or snowing, their teacher didn't care. She made sure they ran.

If she was being honest, Isla enjoyed running. She loved the cold crisp air against her face, the way she felt free, like she could never stop. When she was younger, Isla despised running, and avoided it at all costs. But, now she found herself getting sort of excited for Mondays.

So far, she hadn't seen Chris today. She assumed that he wasn't coming that day, which seemed to lift her mood a bit.

But, when the teacher made the class gather together  at the starting line, Isla spotted Chris.

She didn't actually see his face, but she knew it was him. She saw the white beanie, with brunette hair sticking out of it. The same blue hoodie which seemed to be his favorite since he always wore it.

After noticing him, she immediately turned the other way, hoping that he didn't see her.

Their teacher blew her whistle, signaling everyone to start running.

Isla started jogging at first, like she usually does. She does this to save her energy, then runs full speed later on.

While she was jogging though, she noticed in her peripheral vision that someone was coming up closer to her, but she ignored it. She figured they would just pass her, and that it was some random kid in her class.

She was surprised though, to hear the person talk to her. Immediately, she knew who it was.

"Iz, can we talk?" The voice asked, and Isla snapped her head to Chris. She continued her jog though, keeping her pace.

"No." She said sternly, and looked back in front of her.

"Listen, I know shit got messy the other night, and I'm really sorry. I just want you to hear me out for a moment." He pleaded, jogging beside her.