chapter forty one

It had been a few days since Chris and Isla had last talked, and since then it was very clear to everyone that the argument between the two had taken a toll on him. He began to be more quiet, often not contributing to the conversations around him. He stayed in his room a bit more, and it seemed as if a part of him was lost. He seemed lost all the time, like he just wanted to get back the part of him that he was missing- Isla.

Delilah and Matt decided to hang out at Matt's house, like they often did. He invited her over, after warning her that Chris may not be in the best mood.

Matt picked her up mid evening, bringing her to his house after they got ice cream together. The second she arrived, Nick ran over to Delilah to say hi. Chris looked up from his phone as he sat on their couch, only giving her a slight smile in acknowledgement.

Delilah returned the smile, walking with Matt to his room afterwards. The second she walked in, she dramatically jumped onto his bed, Matt doing the same after her. They both pulled out their phones and separately scrolled on TikTok for a bit, until Matt suddenly turned to Delilah.

"Do you wanna watch anything?" He suggested, grabbing the remote.

Delilah nodded, and Matt scrolled through Netflix. Just as he was about to ask Delilah if she wanted to watch a movie that he thought looked good enough, her phone began ringing. He turned to her phone, seeing that it was Isla calling. Delilah picked it up, and put the phone next to her ear.

After Delilah picked up the phone though, Matt left, telling her that he was going to go pee then grab some snacks for them.

"Hey Isla, what's up?" Delilah said into the speaker of her phone.

"Hey. Um, are you alone right now?" Isla asked.

Delilah looked to Matt's door, just now closing as he headed off. "Yeah. Is everything okay?"

Isla sighed, staying silent for a moment. "I'm just so tired of what's going on. I'm so mad at him."

Although she didn't say much, and didn't say who she was talking about, Delilah immediately knew who Isla was referring to. "I know, it totally sucks. I'm sorry about everything." Delilah agreed.

Isla had told her everything that happened, and Delilah felt bad for her. Although, she wasn't taking sides. She was friends with both Chris and Isla, and she knew that if it came down to it, she wouldn't be able to choose between the two.

"Yeah, it just completely sucks. I hate being mad at him out of all people. And I don't know, I guess I just hate being mad at him for that." Isla continues on, as Matt walks into the room once again. "Part of me just wants to just tell him already, I'm tired of keeping this in. I hate having to hide that fact that I'm fucking in love with my best friend." She finished.

The entire time Matt came in, Delilah kept signaling for Matt to get out of the room. Matt didn't understand what Delilah was trying to say though, and even after Delilah attempted to push Matt out of the room, Matt still ended up hearing the last sentence Isla spoke.

Although he hadn't heard the rest of what she said, that was all he needed to hear.

Matt's mouth hung open in pure shock, while Delilah muted herself on the call as she cursed under her breath.