chapter forty three

Isla called Delilah, in a desperate need to vent. After a few rings, she picked up.

"Hey Isla, what's up?" Delilah said.

"Hey. Um, are you alone right now?" Isla asked hesitantly.

"Yeah.. Is everything okay?"

Isla sighed, staying silent for a moment. "I'm just so tired of what's going on. I'm so mad at him." She didn't specify who exactly she was talking about, but she assumed Delilah would know.

"I know, it totally sucks. I'm sorry about everything." Delilah agreed, understanding who she was talking about right away.

"Yeah, it just completely sucks. I hate being mad at him out of all people. And I don't know, I guess I just hate being mad at him for that. Part of me just wants to just tell him already, I'm tired of keeping this in. I hate having to hide that fact that I'm fucking in love with my best friend." She finished venting, relieved that she had finally gotten that off of her chest.

Although, when Isla was finished, there was no answer. Delilah's line had gone completely silent, as if she had muted herself or disconnected from the call.

"Hello? Del, are you there?" Isla called out, but there was no answer for a few seconds.

"Yep." She quipped.

"Okay.. anyways back to what I was saying-" Isla began to continue, but Delilah cut her off.

"Uhm, listen.. I gotta go. I'll call you back later though, love you!" Delilah quickly exclaimed, giving Isla no time to answer before she hung up.

Isla frowned, setting down her phone after Delilah suddenly hung up. She had no idea why the girl was in such a hurry, but decided not to worry about it. She grabbed her phone, heading out to her kitchen to grab a snack.

Before she walked into the kitchen though, she heard her mom talking on the phone.

"Yeah. Thank you though, I had a really fun time last night. I just wish-" Her mom started, but cut herself off the second she saw Isla walk in. She frowned, going silent. There was noise from the other side of the phone, and her mom quickly said she needed to go and she'll talk later. She set down her phone, giving Isla a what looked like guilty look before heading out.

Isla scrunched her eyebrows in confusion, turning around to watch her mom silently walk off. What did she have to hide?

Recently, she'd been like this. Isla and her mom's relationship was definitely building, and they were making progress recently. But every time her mom did this, and acted like there was something to hide, it made Isla all insecure again. It made her feel like her mom had something to hide, and it felt as if there was something she didn't trust Isla with knowing.

Isla sighed, shrugging it off. She ultimately decided to make a cup of soup, after not knowing what she should eat. She filled the styrofoam cup with water, throwing it in the microwave. After the noodles were done, she took them out, grabbing a fork to eat them with. She sat down on her dining table, her phone in one hand and the noodles in the other.

Just as she began eating though, her mom walked back into the room.

"Hey honey, I was just wondering when you wanted to go dress shopping? Prom's coming up soon, and I just think you should get your dress sooner than later." She advised, sitting down in the seat next to her daughter.