Wattpad Original
There are 91 more free parts

Secretive

adjective ~ inclined to conceal feelings and intentions

POLLUX

Why was Charlie staring at me like that?

What has he done?

Charlie blinked, giving me a grin but otherwise staying silent. It was breakfast time, and after leaving my space for my morning routine of tea and toast, I turned around to find Charlie sitting at the kitchen island staring at me.

"So..." I drawled, clinking my fingers against my tea. "Morning?"

"Morning, Polly." He chirped.

"What brings you down here at this time?" I wondered.

"Oh, you know, just excited for today."

"Uh-huh..." I pursed my lips, leaning against the counter. "Are you going to eat anything or..."

"Oh yeah, I should probably do that." He snorted, jumping from the bar stool. "Big day and all that."

"Yeah..." I muttered, pushing away from the cupboards. "Have a good morning, Charlie."

"Wait!" He shouted and I stumbled to a stop.

"What do you want?" I sighed.

"Uh... Eat with me?"

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Not really!"

"I thought it was a big day?" I cocked my head.

He hesitated, chewing on his lip. The toast popped in the background and he didn't react, lost in his own mind.

I raised my eyebrows, about to ask him what on earth was he doing, but he suddenly changed his demeanour. He straightened his spine, meeting my eyes head-on. Smoothing his hands down his casual shirt, he cleared his throat. I watched curious, sipping my drink as though something exciting was about to happen. My eyes trailed across his face, picking up on the hickey that revealed itself beneath his collar.

How interesting...

"I have been assigned a job." He began, his voice lowering an octave.

My eyes snapped back to his. "Good for you?"

He shook his head. "I am assigned to you for the day."

"Assigned to me?" I raised my eyebrows. "Like a toy boy?"

His eyes narrowed. "No, like a guard."

"I don't need a guard, Charlie. I am perfectly capable." I shook my head, finishing my drink. "You do realise I roamed human and rogue territory for years on my own?"

"Yeah, I know. But this is for your safety." He frowned.

"My safety? Of what? Getting drunk?"

He sighed, rounding the kitchen island. "I'm not supposed to tell you why."

Oh, he was going to tell me, Charlie couldn't keep a secret when it did not benefit him so.

"Why what?" I probed.

His brown eyes shifted around the room before he pulled me in close. I cursed, glad I put my empty cup down already as he pulled me to stand right before him. I turned a little to the side, so our arms were touching. Front-to-front was a little too intimate for my liking.

"Why I am your guard for the party." He mumbled

"If it's just for the party, why are you watching me now?" I whispered back.