027

tw: mentions of trauma, violence, death

---

i want to run away.

it's been a long time since he'd seen the face of his own mother. she aged, and heeseung would've been excited to see her if it wasn't for the crippling fear that he's feeling towards her.

twelve years ago, they would've been happy.

"h-how?! how could you let your own brother die?!"

heeseung closed his eyes as he remembered her words vividly. he could still remember it like it just happened yesterday... somehow, i wished i could forget everything.

- - -

"hyung, i want to build my own game someday!"

"and what game would you want to make?" heeseung chuckled, holding his brother's hand.

"hmm... i don't know yet," hyunwoo looks at him, confused. "maybe something that you like?"

his brother is two years younger than him, and they almost grew up together. hyunwoo is like his own best friend— the two never leave each other's side alone.

heeseung puts an arm around hyunwoo's shoulders. "a game that i like? i think you should make a game that you want, instead."

"nope, it's better if it's the one that you like. since i'm not picky with games, i'll play any game with you."

hyunwoo looks proud while saying that, so heeseung just laughs and ruffles his head. "alright then, i'll wait for that game of yours."

"you promise?"

"of course i promise."

they rode the taxi together on their way home, like they always do every time they finish school.

heeseung didn't have any idea that it was the last day... the last day that he'll see his brother.

it was a car accident.

heeseung saw hyunwoo bleeding beside him, unconscious... he didn't know what to do. he felt numb, his ears ringing. 

"h-hyunwoo..." he reached for his hand— it was cold. heeseung held it tight right before he passed out.

when he woke up, he saw his parents crying in front of him.

"m-mom? where's hyunwoo?" they didn't answer. instead, his father held his hand and looked at him while crying.

why are they not answering? where's my brother? is he safe?

"he's gone, heeseung. your brother did not make it."

heeseung shakes his head frantically. "n-no... that can't be... hyunwoo... he's alive—"

his head is spinning. he wants to scream at them, to tell them that his brother is still alive. he wanted to deny the truth.

why would someone... why would my brother die? he's still young, he's supposed to grow old with me...

how could this happen to him? why him?

- - -

heeseung's life changed. his parents tried so hard to act fine, but he knew them better. we were all struggling to live without our brother.