Good Mornin'

Bucky walked down the quiet street, his hands tucked in his jean pockets, looking at all of the houses as he walked by. Two young boys and a little girl were playing on their driveway, chalk in their hands. The house across from them was quiet, an American flag waving in the slight spring breeze. 

The next house was also quiet, an elderly woman who he was pretty sure had been there when he'd been here the first time was watering her flowers. She saw him, lifting her hand as notice, before turning back to her flowers. Bucky had waved back, moving onto the next house. 

In the end of the cul-de-sac, the house had not changed one bit. The red Japanese bush still sat, red leaves bright and full, hiding the front porch from view. The shutters were still a dark blue, matching the door, which had an Easter reef on the front of it. A bird flew from the light as he approached the front porch, where he saw the bird had made a nest. 

He smiled, before turning to the blue door, lifting his hand to knock. There was no answer, which made him nervous as he stared through the glass pane. Behind the door was a small front room which contained a closet for the winter jackets and rain boots. Another door opened up into the main house. 

He could see three playpens, all lined up next to each other in the living room, right in front of the fire place- which was not lit. Rue and Kisa were both standing up in their playpens, tiny hands on the edge. 

Bucky tried the door knob and found it unlocked so he stepped inside, carefully making his way into the house, "Elizabeth!" He called out, looking around. The lights were off upstairs and it was quiet. There was a good smell in the air, like she had been cooking recently. Something filled with spice. 

Bucky walked over to the cribs, smiling as both Kisa and Rue made grabby hands at him. Mateo was fast asleep in his playpen, wrapped up with a yellow blanket and puppy stuffy. 

He scooped both of the girls up in his arms, kissing each of them on their cheeks, feeling lighter than he had all week, watching Elizabeth dance on the stage, knowing she was going home to an empty house. 

Semi- empty anyways. 

"Dada!" Kisa giggled, snuggling into him, while Rue shouted, "DADDY!" At the top of her lungs. 

Bucky chuckled and then let out a sigh of empathy as Mateo started to stir, whimpering at the loud noise. He put Kisa and Rue back down, picking up his son, rocking him until he started to go back into his sleep. 

Meanwhile, he looked around. There were books stacked up on the dining room chairs, most of them labeled SAT and ACT practice tests. They were labelled with boy names and Bucky felt a pang of sadness since they were probably what her brothers had been working on. 

On the table were several newspapers with headlines like Meteorologists, Scientists say 'There is no Climate emergency', Cities at 'Breaking Point' after welcoming Illegal immigrants, and Private Property seized in Civil forfeiture often not returned. Bucky looked at who had written the newspapers and saw that it was a place out of Hong Kong called The Epoch Times

He heard scratching noises behind him and turned to see that the kitchen had seven cages in it. Each cage held a different rabbit, making seven in total. One of the small ones, a fluffy black and white one, was standing on its back legs, paws on the edge, before coming back down again, drinking some water. 

The cages were larger than he would've expected for a rabbit, in fact the largest rabbit in the back was in what looked like a dog cage that would've gone out in the backyard. He was flopped on his side, nose twitching as he slept in a patch of sunlight. 

"Where's mommy?" Bucky asked softly, turning back to his daughters. Kisa didn't seem to understand what he meant and Rue frowned a little like she was concentrating. "Mommy?" Bucky asked again.