Excuses and Planning

Rumlow stood with his arms crossed over his chest. Elizabeth stood behind him, her eyes glowing blue as she was ready to freeze him into an ice cube at any moment if he tried to escape. Fury was standing side-by-side with Rogers, with Barnes standing just slightly to the side of him, glaring at the HYDRA agent.

"What was the plan Rumlow?" Rogers asked. Wanda was hovering in the background, her eyes flickering between red and normal. "What did HYDRA want with Penelope?"

Rumlow glowered, "Like I would tell any of you."

Loki glared at him. He wished he had Wanda's ability to read Rumlow's mind from so far away, but he didn't. He had to be touching the person in order to see their thoughts and memories.

"Right, well I'm thinking you took my daughter as bait for HYDRA. A captive to get something from me." Fury responded.

Loki thought the pirate was being way to calm, which usually meant he was on the brink of doing something rash. The pirate was always scary calm, but this was a new level of scary calm that he'd never seen before.

"Possibly." Rumlow grumbled. He looked like he was itching to do something rash as well, but Loki knew there was absolutely nothing he could do that wouldn't result in his immediate death.

"What does HYDRA want from me?" Fury glared. "And why haven't I already received threats and promises?"

"Because HYDRA doesn't have her." Rumlow said, a small grin appearing on his face. "You and Barton made sure of that by attacking HYDRA the same night as our retrieval. You nearly destroyed HYDRA, which made them rethink the plan. But I'd already stunned Penny-"

"You don't get to call her that." Fury spat.

"Fine. Penelope." Rumlow snarled. "I knew I couldn't let her go free. She'd tell immediately and everything would be over."

"But why did you take her in the first place?" Rogers asked. "What was her initial purpose?"

Rumlow grinned now, "HYDRA was failing. We were going to make Fury trade Barnes for Penelope. We needed the Winter Soldier back."

Barnes immediately grabbed the gun at his hip, though Wilson grabbed his arm, muttering into his ear. Rogers jaw locked tightly. "We wouldn't have complied."

"Oh no?" Rumlow disagreed. "Perhaps you and Wilson would have fought tooth and nail to make sure we never got Barnes back, but Fury would've handed him right over. She's his daughter. And Barnes, well, Barnes would've handed himself over for her. He'd never let an innocent girl get killed because he didn't step up."

"How come I don't remember you?" Bucky snarled at Rumlow.

"It was a stroke of luck." Rumlow shrugged, "Considering I was literally your one and only handler besides Pierce, you should've remembered me."

Bucky took a step forward and both Steve and Sam grabbed his arms to hold him back.

"Where is Penny?" Fury asked harshly. "What'd you do?"

"I had to get rid of her somehow, but I also couldn't kill her." Rumlow said. "Might've been a mistake, but I liked the girl to much. Kind, sweet, great in bed-"

"Keep talking about her like that and I'm going to put a bullet through your most manly parts and leave you bleeding to death." Fury snarled, lowering his gun a little.

Rumlow tensed and immediately changed his tune. "I called some friends of mine. Well, not really friends. But people I knew in the business. From what I know, they took her to Germany to one of the sell houses and the made almost $800,000,000 on her."