Invasion

Sam grinned, filming on his phone as Steve and Bucky pushed Mateo and Kisa on the baby swings. Rue on the other hand, was sitting in the sand, digging her fingers into it while Elizabeth stood to the side in a beautiful, easter blue sundress. 

They were at a park called Sharon woods, which was filled with parents and kids on the beautiful April day. There was a playground a few yards away, built on mulch with slides and monkey bars. They'd already helped the kids on the slides until they got bored of them, wanting to go on the swings. 

"I'm gonna send it to Tony." Sam said, ending the video and then sent it to Tony. 

"I wish they were here." Steve sighed a little as Kisa giggled, kicking her feet violently as she swung up. 

"Maybe we should invite them over." Elizabeth said thoughtfully. "Trang and Kat both live in mansions. I'm sure we can work out fitting everyone." 

Steve chuckled but Sam shook his head. "Nah, Nat won't leave the tower anymore. She's worried about Anastasia's safety." 

Elizabeth looked confused, "They're not taking the kids out?" 

Sam scratched the back of his head helplessly, glancing at Steve and Bucky. 

"But," Elizabeth protested. "The kids need other childrens' interactions. They need to go to playgrounds and play in the dirt!"

"You forget," Steve said quickly. "The others aren't as old as these three. They're only at the six month mark and barely. They shouldn't-" 

"I didn't forget!" Elizabeth snapped angrily, hands clenching into tight fists, eyes flashing. It was silent for a second as Rue looked up at her and Steve and Bucky stopped pushing the kids. Elizabeth's entire body was tense as a live wire and Steve sighed. 

"I- I'm sorry." Elizabeth whispered, guilt written all over her face. "Steve-" 

Steve pulled her into a hug gently and her entire body relaxed. "It's okay princess. It's alright. I'm sorry." 

Elizabeth took a couple of deep breaths and then pulled back. "I did forget. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I just. . ." 

"Hey. I understand." Steve said softly. He kissed her forehead. "Do you want to go home?" 

"No. I'm okay." Elizabeth shook her head, smiling a little. "Besides, we're actually going to see the others on the other side of the park." 

"Really?" Sam asked with more enthusiasm than necessary, trying to bring back the light, happy feeling. 

"Yeah." Elizabeth smiled, relaxing even more now and Steve smiled too, resting his chin on her shoulder. Bucky on the other hand, kept his piercing eyes fixed on her, trying to see if she was truly alright. She seemed a little tired and there was still some guilt in her eyes, but she seemed alright. "Although we should probably change them into their bathing suits." 

"We're taking them swimming?" Steve's voice climbed two octaves in equal excitement and nerves. 

"No, no, no." Elizabeth quickly reassured him. "But there's like a very tiny water. . . uh thing? I don't know how to describe it." 

They walked back to the car and while Sam and Bucky helped the kids into bathing suits, Steve looked out at the rest of the park. There was a visitors center that he had gone into already. It had included an indoor playground which was very large, a small gift shop, and another section that had tunnels and boards that informed kids about the different animals in the woods. 

Across from the visitors center was something called a heritage village. It wasn't actually a village back in the 1800s, instead they were buildings that had been saved from demolition and moved here as a museum of living history. They were beautiful houses and buildings, although very old. He wouldn't have minded coming back here to do a tour if he could.