The Competition

"Dad? What are you doing here?" Penny asked, seeing her father sitting in the living room of the Avengers Compound, the TV on, which he was watching intently. 

"TV broke at our house. So I figured I'd use this one." Her father replied. 

Penny crossed her arms over her chest. "Mhmm, sure. What are you actually doing here?" 

"Well if you would sit down and watch the TV, you would see." Fury replied, gesturing towards the device. 

Penny rolled her eyes, looking at the commercials that were running through the TV. "Were you here for Pierce?" 

"I already finished that an hour ago." Her father said, the playfulness gone from his voice, hard once more. "Before Barnes took over." 

"Bucky went down there?" Penny asked sharply. 

"You and Rogers need to stop treating him like broken glass." Fury replied in the same tone just as some of the other Avengers started to file into the room, coming back from a training session. Fury raised an eyebrow and Penny bit down on her bottom lip. 

"Hey." Clint said, kissing the top of Pennys' head. "You alright?" 

"Yeah." Penny smiled, nodding towards the TV. "Dad just wants me to watch something with him." 

"Well, personally, I think it's something you would all enjoy." Fury said surprisingly. "But regardless. . ." He drifted off as the TV switched from commercials to the show he wanted to watch. Well, wanted them to watch. 

There was a panel of five judges, four women and a man, sitting at a table, with the background of what seemed to be a stage, people dancing on it, slightly blurred behind them. 

"Welcome back to the annual Ohio Dance competition." The woman in the middle said. She had short blond hair, cut around her chin. Penny felt Clint's arms tighten a little around her, before letting go, sliding onto the seat next to her. "And let's see where we've left off." 

"Let's go over the rules." The man said. He was a tall, slender Asian man, his accent clipped with a little Korean lilt. "Between our sets, there will be a certain musical genre. During the commercial breaks, you'll vote for your favorite one. At the end of the month, the team with the most votes will win and perform solos, while also choosing a finale dance." 

"And let's check out whose in the top three spots." A younger looking girl on the end of the panel said happily. "In third place with 2 points is Candy Kickers. In second place with 4 points are The Cherry Boomettes. And finally, in first place with 5 points, are the Ohioan Misfits!" 

"The controversy, of course, being that the Ohioan Misfits are only winning because they're Ohios superheroes." A Hispanic girl, just as young as the other said with a roll of her eyes. 

The other Avengers had slowly filed into the room. 

"Now," The Korean man said quickly. "Remember when you're voting, to look for the team that did the best song and dance coordination. If a team sang more than they danced or danced more than they sang- unless of course we're doing a song with no lyrics- you should keep an eye out for that." 

"Now, onto the topic for today is Dark Trap." The last woman who had said nothing up till this point said. 

Team after team went up onto the stage, dancing and singing. But the tension in the Avengers Compound was palpable. After not seeing any of them for two weeks- and Elizabeth longer than that- it was going to be amazing to see them on the TV, competing. 

Finally, they stepped onto the stage and Penny felt a warmth spread in her heart. Perhaps it was bias for loving them, but she thought they had the best outfits by far. The girls were wearing long sleeved black shirts that were also crop tops. Their pants were black sweatpants with pockets and straps, with black combat boots. The boys were shirtless.