Open My Eyes

Song: Open My Eyes

Artist: Rival Sons

^^^

Running up to Simon's locker, I clamped my hand down on his shoulder. "Dude!"

"Jesus Christ!" he shrieked, jumping and jerking his head back. "What the fuck?"

"We need to talk."

"Geez, what's got your panties in a twist this morning?" he snickered.

After dragging him down to a quieter part of the hallway, he crossed his arms and stared worriedly at me.

"My date with Clara... sucked yesterday."

"So you finally figured out your feelings?"

"I don't want to date her."

"You know you have to tell her, right?"

"Well, no shit, I need to tell her. That's not what this is about."

"Then what happened?"

"I was texting Mystery-"

"Oh, god."

I flicked his forehead. "Mystery is a dude."

"Honestly, I'm not surprised," he said, rubbing his forehead. "Like I said-"

"I know what you said," I stated. "Thing is, when he admitted it to me, I was surprised that the girl I had a crush on was a guy."

Simon rolled his eyes. "Again, I'm not surprised. You've been texting him for the past two months about whatever you two talk about and creating a relationship with him. I figured if you weren't going to go out with her, you'd either want to date Mystery or Tylor."

"Tylor is just a friend."

"And Mystery is someone you don't even actually know," Simon stated, and I looked away from him. "I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have a crush on him; I'm just saying you should be careful. You don't know his name, or what he looks like. For all you know, everything the two of you have disclosed to each other is a lie."

While I should have agreed with Simon, I couldn't. Mystery and I were friends. It didn't matter if we didn't know each other's names or that I've never seen what he looked like. When we texted, it was always about the personal details. Without worrying about us keeping up appearances, we could talk about whatever we wanted and not worry about being stuck with each other. If we didn't want to talk anymore, all we had to do was block each other. It made our friendship that much more important and trustworthy.

"At the end of the day, you can do whatever you want. Your romantic attraction to those three has absolutely nothing to do with me, but I am happy to help you figure it out," Simon added. "So you don't like Clara, you like Mystery. Now what?"

"I don't know."

"Are you going to ask him what his name is?"

"No. He doesn't want me to know, and I respect that."

"But don't you want to know who you like?"

"He doesn't want me to know who he is right now. Just because he revealed he's a guy doesn't mean I'm going to violate his trust and force him to tell me who he is. Whenever he wants to, if he ever wants to, he can tell me then."

"As sweet as that is, you still like someone-"

"Hey, guys," Tylor greeted as he approached us. We both looked over at him and smiled.

"Hey, man. Heading to the music room?" I asked.

"Aww, you know me so well, Quinny Bear," he puckered. Giggling, he waved as he passed us.

"You're blushing," Simon teased.

"Fuck off."

"And aren't you going to see him at your guitar lesson tonight?"

"Fuck. Off."

"And you say you don't like-"

"Stop," I demanded. "The last thing I want to do is ruin my friendship with Tylor."

"You know it's okay to care about him."

"I never said I didn't."

"No shit," he scoffed, rolling his eyes. "You know there's nothing wrong with liking him. It's not like he's going to stop being your friend-"

"You don't know that," I snapped. "He told us himself, he thought he lost his chance to make friends years ago. He's been lonely ever since, and I don't want some crush I may or may not even have make him uncomfortable around me and not want to be my friend anymore."

Simon smirked and leaned back against the wall. "You're a good person."

I rolled my eyes.

"An idiot, but still a good person," he chuckled. "I know for a fact that if you told him you had a crush on him, he wouldn't want to stop being your friend."

"And how do you know that?"

"Because you two bonded, just like you did with Mystery."

"So what? You think he likes me or something?"

"I'm not saying he does or doesn't. I'm just saying that the two of you having spent as much time together as you have as created a deep enough bond to where if you confessed, he wouldn't hate you. I know if you confessed to me, I wouldn't hate you."

"Shut up," I laughed and shoved his shoulder.

Deep down, I knew Simon was right. If I told Tylor I liked him, he likely wouldn't stop being my friend. But at the end of the day, I didn't even know how I felt about him. All I knew was admitting to myself that I might have had a crush on him felt right.