CHAPTER TWELVE

School Lies

On the Upper East Side, it's easy to think that the world is exactly as it appears - refined, elegant, imposing

On the Upper East Side, it's easy to think that the world is exactly as it appears - refined, elegant, imposing. But sometimes, all it takes is a little key to open the door to the wild side.

***

It was a few days later at night and everyone was at Constance in the
swimming hall.

"Why don't I turn that, uh, one piece into
a no piece?" Chuck asked as he walked up to Ella.

"Find a floatie to have fun with, Chuck."

"You know, if my dad and your mom come back from South Africa tomorrow engaged, we'll be brother and sister. And you know what they say - the family that plays together stays together." Chuck said.

"Ah, incest - the universal taboo. One of
the, um, only ones you haven't violated." Ella said.

"Well, I'm game if you are." Chuck leaned
in and so did Ella and she knocked his drink in the pool and walked away.

Later on a boy had banged his head and
fell into the pool. Nate jumped in and got him out.

Serena had called an ambulance and everyone could hear the sirens.

***

The next day in school, all the people who were at the pool party were in a boat load
of trouble.

"Thanks to the cellphone somebody left behind, we've got plenty of evidence of who was at the party. Lucky for you, Andrew Collins is going to be fine. Unlucky for you, we need to hold someone responsible. Ms Queller?" The Prescott said.

"Hello. I'm Ms Queller, the new headmistress at Constance. It's unfortunate that we meet under these circumstances, but I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you. I've already talked to your parents - at least, those I could reach - and look forward to reading personal your essays. 10,000 words describing how you came to be on school property after hours, using alcohol and drugs, where a fellow student almost died. In other words - what the hell is wrong with you? I'll also be conducting one on one interviews until I discover who broke into the pool and initiated the party. That person will be expelled. If that person is not identified, then you'll all face expulsion."

Everyone turned to look at each other.

***

"So we all know how this works." Blair said as they were all outside.

"Look, no one talks, no one gets into trouble." Chuck said.

"Who did break in, anyway?" Nate asked.