CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

The Remains of J

Mornings are simply more fun on the Upper East Side

Mornings are simply more fun on the Upper East Side. Our favourite things to wake up to - the sun in the sky, the Nikkei on the rise and a wake up call from your latest lover... or your best friend.

***

"Again, Ella?" Blair asked over the phone.

"Good! You're up."

"Yes, I'm up, just like I was up yesterday and the morning before that."

"Well, after the whole Chuck thing, you can't blame me for wanting to check in on you." Ella said as she crossed the road.

"And as much as I appreciate the concern, E, my downward spiral is on the upturn.
I'm at home in my PJs, eating french toast with Dorota." Blair said and Ella heard a horn blast.

"What was that?"

"Dorota has a cold. Dorota, I told you not to use your handkerchief at the table. It's disgusting."

"It sounded like a car horn. It must have been on my end."

"Where are you?" Blair asked.

"I'm on 73rd and Madison, headed to Via Quadronno to get some pastries for our new family breakfast." Ella said sarcastically.

"If I wasn't so full of French toast, I would ask you to bring me one. See you at school."

"And tell Dorota to feel better." Ella ended the call and walked in the shop.

***

Ella, Serena and Eric were walking down the hallway.

"I don't understand why she wouldn't want it." Serena said.

"I know, every culture in the world has some version of a Sweet 16 party. It's like a universal rite of passage." Ella added.

"Since she got back to Constance, Jenny hasn't exactly made a lot of friends. You know, downsizing the party might have something to do with the fear that no one will show up." Eric explained.

***

It was the party later when Chuck came up to Ella. They were looking at Nate and Blair.

"Why are they here?" Ella asked and she turned to Chuck and pulled him in for the kiss and he gave it back with a smirk.

Spotted - two people who should know better and two people who don't know what hit them.

"Where'd your boyfriend go?" Nate asked from behind her.

"We're not together. It's just attraction."

"I'll take your word for it. Whatever's going on between you two, just make sure Chuck doesn't talk you into doing something you regret."

"I know what I'm doing, Nate. And plus, going back to the ex, good move."

"What? Blair's my friend. Nothing's happened between us." Nate told.

"Well, not yet." Blair walked over. "But he's telling you the truth. Nate's a good guy. If you'd have seen that, maybe you'd still be together. Now that he's free, who knows what will happen?"

"Exactly. We don't know. We're just
hanging out."

"Sure, that's what people do at parties, they hang out. But later, when we're alone..."

"Blair. We'll talk about it."

"What is there to talk about?"

"Do you guys want to have this conversation elsewhere?" Ella asked getting frustrated then walked off.

***

"They've been in there for a while."

"You just need to relax and trust in the power of our overwhelming sexual chemistry to drive a wedge between them." Chuck replied and they saw Blair had left the room and Nate followed after.

She walked over to him.

"Aw. What happened?" Ella asked.

"You wanted to be like how you used to be? Well, congratulations. You succeeded." Nate whispered in her ear and walked off.

***

It was now after the party.

"Oh my god. Oh my god." Lily let out.

"Okay, Lil, deep breath." Rufus said.

"Oh!"

"Things definitely got out of hand, but the most important thing is that the kids are okay."

"Yes, well, that may be the most important thing, but the second most important thing is the apartment, the furniture, the rugs,
the art, the... My closet."

"I thought I recognised that dress." Dan muttered.

"Serena, how did this happen?" Lily asked.

"Mom, I admit I made a few phone calls. If you want to punish someone for the passed hors d'oeuvres, point the finger here. Guilty as charged. But as far as all the people..." Ella said and looked at Jenny.

"Oh, and you expect me to believe that Jenny was behind this? After she made me cancel the best caterer in town because she wanted Clue and a crockpot."

"Mom, you could... you could at least make an attempt to mask your distaste." Eric said.

Ella scoffed and started to walk.

"Don't you dare leave me here to clean up this mess, Ella." Lily said.

"When this family was just me Serena and Eric, if things got out of control, it was a pretty safe bet that it was my fault."

"That's true."

"But as this family grows, so does the pool of suspects. This is not my mess." Ella said and left.