CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

The Wrath of Con

Four wise men once said: "I get by with a little help from my friends

Four wise men once said: "I get by with a little help from my friends." But on the Upper East Side, there's the added challenge of figuring out who those friends really are.

***

"Hello?" Chuck answered.

"It's as bad as we thought. Maybe even worse." Ella said.

"How so?"

"Well, Gabriel didn't just skip town. He took off with all the money he got my mom and the co op to invest and he took Poppy's money too. The entire thing was a scam." Ella informed.

"Well, his suits never did fit right. How much did he get?" Chuck asked.

"I'm not sure. Me and Serena are on our
way home to tell our mom right now. When are you gonna be back?"

"As fast as I can, given my current transportation situation."

"Chuck, I really am sorry for not believing you and Blair earlier. But you never did tell me how you found out he was lying about meeting me that night at Butter."

"I'll explain when I get there."

***

Ella and Serena got home.

"I didn't even know you were out." Lily said.

"Yeah, I had to go and try to catch..."

"Gabriel? We had such a nice time with you two last night. He is so charming. And that idea."

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that." Ella said.

"Before you do, there is something I want you both to have. I was gonna wait until you were 21, but I've been so proud of you lately, with Brown and graduation coming. Go ahead, open it."

It was a good diamond bracelet.

"It was your great grandmother's. I took it out of the safety deposit box this morning. Obviously, there's only one, so you two take it in turns to wear it, okay?"

"It's beautiful, Mom, but it's too much. I can't accept it. I don't deserve it." Ella said.

"Well, of course you do. You're both becoming wonderful women and I want you to have something that represents that. Now, tell me, what were you gonna say about Gabriel?" She asked and her phone rang. "Ugh. Must be the caterer."

"Yeah. Just take that, and we'll talk later, okay? And thank you. This is really something." Ella said.

"Don't forget, we have to leave for brunch
in ten minutes." Lily reminded.