CHAPTER SIXTEEN

All About My Brother

"Hey, what's wrong why the long face?" Ella asked

"Are you still sad mom wouldn't let you go to Monte Carlo for the bachelor party?" Serena asked.

"No, I'm fine. I figured I'd let Bart, Chuck and Prince Albert have their fun. Oh, that didn't come out like I meant it." Eric said and his phone rang. "Gossip Girl. Looks like Jenny's been spotted at the GAP sewing Stella McCartney labels into pocket Ts."

"These rumours are getting to the ridiculous."

"Oh, like the one where I'M Gossip Girl." Eric pointed out.

"It made sense at the time. You have to admit."

"It never made any sense."

"It did. Wait, hold on. It's Chuck." Ella said as her phone rang.

"I have something to do before school starts, but tell him I say hi."

"Yeah, and I'll see you at school." Serena said.

"Okay. Don't forget about dinner tonight."

"Yeah."

"Salut, Chuck. Yes, I'm still fine. I haven't heard from Georgina in two weeks. So if you'd stop calling me, I'd finally be free of
all of my nightmares. Bye." Ella joked and hung up.

***

"It's a snub, from ONE party, B." Serena told her.

"Plus, what's the big deal anyway? You don't even like Asher." Ella added.

"I didn't like last season's Louis Vuitton patchwork bag either, but that doesn't mean I wanna see it all over town on Jenny Humphrey's arm." Blair explained.

"Touche."

"What do you say we have a girls night out tonight?" Blair asked.

"We have dinner with the family." Serena replied.

"Let me remind you both of a little promise you made. 'Don't go to France. We'll be there for you.'"

"I'm really sorry I've been distant, but things will be better soon, I promise." Ella said.

"Obviously starting tomorrow."

***

Ella's phone rang.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Miss Walker? It's Luke from the concierge's desk. You asked that we call first before delivering anything upstairs." The man said.

"Is there something for me?"

"Yes, a package from a Miss Georgina Sparks. Hello? Did I lose you?"

Uh, no. Uh, just keep it there. I'll pick it up right after school. And don't let it out of your sight." Ella told.

"Of course."

"Thank you." She ended the call.

***

Ella got home and opened the note.

E- Memories can fade. A video is forever. 🤍 G

She went over to her laptop to see a video
of that night she just wanted to forget. She quickly hid the stick with the video on in her drawer when her mom walked in.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I can't be here right now, mom. I'll explain later." Ella said.

"If you invite an old friend to our quiet family dinner, I expect you to stay and eat." Lily said and Georgina walked in. "You know how I always loved when Georgina came around."

"I ran into Lily in the lobby. You totally forgot to tell her I was coming over for dinner." Georgina said and kissed the side of her cheek. "Did you get my present?"

***

It was later after the disastrous dinner.

"Well, I had fun. How about you?" Georgina asked.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want things to go back to how they were before that night, before things got so screwed up. We were such good friends, and now we CAN be again."

"Why would I want to be friends with somebody who blackmails me, who outs my little brother at the dinner table?" Ella asked.

"Eric was an honest mistake. I would never hurt him." Georgina said.

"No, I don't believe you. I don't believe you about Eric, about anything."

"Maybe you're right. Maybe I did it on purpose." She chuckled. "Because I can, because I know things about you, about your family, your boyfriends, and I know them before you do. Ok, look. Cab."

She waved and it pulled over.

"You get home safe." Georgina smiled before walking after the others.

***

But the worst thing the truth can do, is when you finally tell it, it doesn't set you free, but locks you away forever.

Ella had gone over to Blair's.

"Blair?" Her voice broke.

"Ella, what are you doing here? It's late." Blair said and noticed she was a mess.
"Oh my god. What happened? What's wrong? Talk to me."

"I can't."

"Of course you can."

"No. No, B, this is the one thing I can't tell you. I can't tell anyone." Ella cried.

"I'm not anyone. I'm me. You can tell me anything."

"No, I can't..." Ella shook her head and sat in front of the stair. "Because then that'd make you a part of it, and you can't be a part of this." Ella said.

"What are you talking about? You're starting to scare me. Hey, hey, hey. We're sisters. You're my family, what is you, is me. There's nothing that you could ever say to make me let go. I love you. What is it?"

"I killed someone." Ella revealed.