CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

The Sixteen Year Old Virgin

Ella and Nate were in bed and breathing heavily until they came to the top of the covers

"Who needs morning coffee after a wake up like that?" Ella said and her phone beeped.

"Who's texting this early?" Nate asked.

"Rufus. He's freaking out. He can't find Jenny. He thinks she's with Damien. This
is not good."

"Who prince Damien from the state dinner? I thought you thought he was dreamy." Nate said sarcastically.

"Well, that was before he tried to kiss me after I told him no." Ella said.

"Um, what? And now that creeps with Jenny?"

"You know what's most attractive about a bad boy?"

"No, I really don't."

"Your parents refusing to let you see him. Rufus is driving Jenny right into Damien's creepy arms. I'm not gonna let that happen." Ella said and sat up.

***

Ella was walking when she saw Jack.

"Well, hello, gorgeous." He grinned.

"And now it all makes sense. You're the blood sucking reptile behind the lawsuit."

"Come on. Harsh words. But I'm innocent. Whoever did this is more brilliant than I am. My sources tell me reservations are already down 20%."

"You're a lying ooze."

"Little nephew is gonna have to step down from his beloved empire." Jack said.

"And what? You think you'll somehow take over it? That'll never happen." Ella said.

"Ella. I've already had everything of Chuck's worth having." Jack kissed her hand. "And as always, the pleasure is yours."

He smirked and walked off.

***

Ella, Serena and Blair were getting ready
for the party.

"I can see he's starting to doubt himself." Blair said.

"Why wouldn't he, with the bad press, the protesters? The Daily Intel says he's thinking of stepping down." Serena replied as she applied lip gloss.

"Chuck's not stepping anywhere. Ooh, can I borrow that?"

"Yeah."

Ella's phone rang.

"Oh, and speaking of things we've shared. Nate, Ella doesn't wanna talk to you right now. Well, it sounds perfectly reasonable
to me. I'll ignore that. Ella, Serena and I are getting ready for the party. Now why don't you just apologise so we can all move past this and be supportive for Chuck on his big night?" Blair said and put him on speaker.

"No, I'm not gonna apologise. I did the right thing, okay? Ella may not get it, but losing her virginity is a huge deal for a girl like Jenny." Nate said.

"Oh, and it wasn't for me? Why is that, Nate? Because I was a huge slut when I was Jenny's age?" Ella picked up the phone and said annoyed.

"Look, I didn't realise I was on speakerphone, okay? I didn't mean to say that-"

"I think that's exactly what you meant." Ella said firmly and hung up.

***

It was later at the party.

"Well, I didn't expect to see you here. You haven't returned any of my calls in weeks." Lily said.

"I'm here to support Chuck." Ella said.

"Ella, I know that you are angry, and maybe someday you'll understand why I didn't tell you I was-"

"Doing my father when I came to visit him?"

"Well, that's..."

"Save your lies for your current husband." Ella said and walked away.

Nate came up to Ella.

"Hey. I didn't mean it the way it sounded." He told her.

"What, that I was the concubine of the Upper East Side?" Ella asked.

"Well, look, I didn't want to get into details in front of Blair and Serena, but, come on, Ella. Everyone knows the stories about Adam Handler, uh, Jake Hendrickson, Matt Price... the art teacher from Prague."

"I never slept with all of those guys, Nate. Haven't you heard of locker room gossip? They lied or exaggerated."

"Ella, I lost my virginity to you on a bar at the Campbell apartment." Nate said.

"And somehow that reflects badly on me and not you? Talk about a double standard."

"No, that's not what I was talking about."

"Whatever your twisted guy logic is, there's still no reason for you to go behind my back with Jenny."

"Ella, I woke up the morning after I lost my virginity to find that the person I lost it to - the person I loved - had left town, never to be heard from again for a year. So, yeah, I had a good reason." Nate said before walking off.

Later on, Ella saw Nate holding his face.

"What happened?"

"It's Jenny. She ran off with Damien. The guy's a drug dealer." Nate told.

"What?" Dan asked.

"Yeah."

"He's staying at the Smyth." Ella said.

"Okay. All right, I'm gonna call you when I find em." Nate said and left.

"Where's our mom and Rufus?" Serena asked.

"Dad. Jenny ran off with Damien, and he's worse than we thought." Dan said.

"Oh, god."

***

Ella went to talk to Nate.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was calling Rufus." Nate said.

"It's fine. My plan was stupid anyway. Nate, I'm really sorry I left the morning after we... You know, I never meant to hurt you." Ella told him.

"Oh, I know."

"I wish that we could somehow relive that night. Because this time I know that you love me. And you know that I also love you." Ella said and he leaned in to kiss her.