CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE

The Townie

"Ella, help me understand

"Ella, help me understand. Are you upset because of what you did or because you can't remember it?" The woman asked.

"Both and neither. You know, if you saw a photo of yourself on the internet doing cocaine, what would you think?" Ella asked.

"I wouldn't know what to think. I would never do that."

"Exactly. But with me, I can't be too sure. You know, I may not remember anything, but this wouldn't be the first time."

"So you're at a new school, but it's the same old thing - partying, boys."

"Yeah, but there was one person there who was different." Ella said. "It's funny, I think he was the only guy to ever say no to me. I was in love with him. Well, as in love as I had ever been at that point. After that, I didn't know how to act around him, so we never really talked again."

"This must have been very disappointing to the 16 year old adventuress that you were at the time, but when you tell this story now, what does it make you think?" The woman asked.

"That Ben Donovan was a pretty great guy."

***

Ella walked into her room to see Juliet already in there.

Uh oh, E. You've got a surprise visitor, and she's about to give you shock therapy.

"And the photo of me on Gossip Girl, that was you, too?" Ella asked.

"Yep. I went out dressed like you and partied like it was 2007."

"And you just left me in a motel room? Why because of Nate?"

"No, you stupid bitch, because you destroyed my brother's life." She said.

"Who's your brother?"

"Ben Donovan."

"Ben is your brother? What did I ever do to him?" Ella asked.

"Thanks to you, my brother's currently serving a five year sentence."

"I swear I never accused Ben of any crime. He was nothing but good to me."

"I saw the affidavit."

"I didn't sign anything." Ella said.

"Then who did?"

***

Ella made it to the apartment where the party was held.

"Hi, I'm Ella. I'm Lily's daughter. I wasn't gonna be able to make it tonight because I was actually at the Ostroff Center. But if it were up to my mother, she'd have you believe that I was at Canyon Ranch. That's because having a daughter who's in a mental hospital threatens her carefully protected image. She wants you all to think that she's the perfect host and mother and wife, but the truth is she's a selfish lair who will destroy anyone who stands in her way." Ella announced before leaving the room.

***

One week later.

Ella had gone to see Ben in prison.

"Ella. What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I had to come see you."

"I don't know what to say."

"Neither do I. But I feel like I should start." Ella said.

If you love someone, set them free. XOXO, Gossip Girl.