CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

It-Girl Happened One Night

It's cold out there, but on the Upper East Side, things are heating up, because Valentine's Day is around the corner

***

Ella was walking down the street when she decided to call Ben.

"Oh, my gosh. All the shoppers on Madison are so stressed. It's like the entire future of humanity lies in the balance. 'Should I get him boxers or cologne?'" Ella said.

"'Are red roses cliche?' 'If I hide the ring in her food, will she choke?'" Ben said and Ella giggled.

"I'm actually so glad we're sidestepping Valentine's." Ella said.

"You sure? It's not very romantic."

"Speak for yourself. I have a hot date with my Blu-ray player. What about you? What are you doing?" Ella asked.

"Believe it or not, I am working." Ben told.

"Really? Ben, that's great. Where?"

"Uh, it's nothing big, but it's a start."

"Oh, let me guess. At a publishing house? Tutoring service? You're doing research for a professor? You'd be so good at that."

"Uh... I... How'd you know?"

"So which one is it?" Ella asked.

"Tutoring."

"All you have to do is get one kid into an Ivy, and your phone will be ringing off the hook. I actually have to go meet a friend but I'll see you on the 15th when all this craziness is over. Happy tutoring." Ella told him.

"Thanks. I'll talk to you later."

***

Ella was getting ready.

"Hey. Aren't you a little overdressed for hot stones?" Ella asked.

"Donna called. She needs me at work." Blair told her.

"This is terrible. The masseuse is already on her way. I was really looking forward to spending time with you. You have no idea how much." Ella said.

"E, cancel the masseuse and go to Chuck's. No one should be alone tonight, and it would mean a lot to him to have you there - not because you're an 'It' girl, but because he considers you family." Blair said.