CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

The Ex-Files

Wakey wakey, Upper East Siders

Wakey wakey, Upper East Siders. Welcome to the first day of senior year and the onset of a new social dynasty. The big question is, with Ella and Serena single and on top of the world, will Constance become the house of Walker and van der Woodsen?

***

Ella was on her way to school went she ran into Nate.

"Ella. Hey. Wait up." He called.

"Nate, what do you want?"

"You haven't returned my phone calls."

"I've sorta been busy."

"Wait. Just hold up for a second. You come to the party and you tell me to break it off with Catherine, and then you pull a 180 and you tell me to stay with her. And then you just bolt. I mean, did I do something, or...? What happened?" Nate asked.

"I'm gonna be late for school." Ella said and continued to walk but he stopped her.

"Whoa, whoa, so that's it? I mean, we're not even friends now after everything that's happened with us?"

"I think we both know that we could never just be friends, Nate." Ella said and walked past him.

***

It was the next morning when Ella felt something ticking the side of her face when she opened her eyes to see Chuck on her bed with a flower.

"Chuck. Boundaries please. Get out."

"Good morning to you too. I had Marguerite make you something. I missed you at STK last night." Chuck said.

"Mom me and Serena had a girls' movie night. She made us watch Paris, Texas. She kept talking about how amazing Harry Dean Stanton was."

"Well, I just wanted to make sure you got your breakfast and the morning headlines."