CHAPTER NINETEEN

Summer Kind of Wonderful

Unlike the rest of us, sex, lies and scandal never take a vacation

Unlike the rest of us, sex, lies and scandal never take a vacation. Instead, they take the Long Island Expressway and head
east to the Hamptons. Some would say summer is their busiest season.

***

Ella had gone into Chuck's room and he
was looking at himself in the mirror.

"This is the first time I've seen you look in
a mirror all summer. Here I thought if you did, you'd turn into stone. You must be pretty nervous about something if you're willing to take that risk."

"Ha-ha, sis, I'm on my way out to Lily Pond. With the triplets returning to Rio, I thought I'd continue my tour of South America. I'm thinking Argentina." Chuck explained.

"Then what are the flowers for? You wouldn't perhaps have overheard a recent phone call with a certain best friend of mine, who mentioned she's on her way out here on the jitney?" Ella said.

"What's a jitney?"

"If that's your way of saying no, then I'm glad to hear it. Cause Blair will never forgive you for what you did to her."

"Who told you that little piece of advice? Your boyfriend Nate?"

"Nate didn't say anything."

"Good. Cos I don't think it's wise taking relationship advice from somebody in a fake relationship. Call me crazy. Enjoy another night alone with your thoughts." Chuck said and picked up the flowers and walked past her.

"Good luck on your suicide mission."

***

"You didn't do anything all summer? Please don't tell me you just at around watching The Closer and eating takeout from Nick and Toni's." Blair said.

"No, Della Femina." Ella corrected.

"What about all those rumours I heard about you and Nate?" Blair asked.

"Mm, mm-mm. Completely untrue. They just got people off my back about being sad, and then Nate could do whatever he wanted. So it worked out for both of us."

"You're telling me you didn't have any fun with anyone all summer?" Serena asked.

"Well, there was this hot lifeguard that asked me out, but I, you know I turned him down." Ella said.

"What? Are you crazy? A hot lifeguard is like Kleenex. Use once and throw away. You couldn't ask for a better rebound."

Chuck walked past them.