CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Valley Girls

Ella was in a room at the station waiting for Lily to come get her

"You forced me to do this. I just hope you learned your lesson."

"That my mom's crazier than I ever imagined?" Ella asked.

"Well, no crazier than you, my daughter, thinking you could fix this situation yourself."

"I was fixing this, but then you were too worried about what people would think."

"When you're a mother, you will understand that you have to make decisions that don't always win you points for popularity." Lily told her.

"When I'm a mother, I will be nothing like you."

"Yes, you say that now, but just wait."

"I would rather give my kids up for adoption, than end up like you. Oh, wait, that's exactly what you did." Ella said.

"I came down here to drop the charges and put this behind us. Please show a little respect, and I will stick with my plan."

"I'll just stick to mine. If you didn't notice, you weren't my phone call."

"Oh, so who was?" Lily asked.

"She called me, darling." Cece said and came into the room. "Ironic, isn't it? If only she knew."

"Hey, grandma." Ella said and kissed her on the cheek.

For those who complain about the youth of today, if you think we're bad, you should've seen our parents.

***

It was later at prom.

"This is low, even for you. I can't believe you did this, Chuck. You know how important prom is to me!" Blair exclaimed.

"Blair, what's wrong?" Serena asked.

"I caught him with these." She held up the voting cards. "They're all marked with Nelly Yuki's name. He's sabotaging me. My missing, corsage, my dress, the limo and hotel."

"Students, if could have your attention, please. Our prom queen is... Blair Waldorf." Penelope announced.

"Oh my god. I won. This is my moment. I own prom." Blair said and went on stage.

"And our king, Nate Archibald."

"Thank you, everyone." Blair said in the microphone.

"I can't believe Blair won." Ella said excited.

"Who even voted for her?" Dan asked.

"Me. About 150 times. I wasn't putting the Nelly Yuki ballots in, I was taking them out." Chuck said.

"But what about what she said you did to her limo and hotel and corsage?" Serena questioned.

"Her new dress looks better without it. Give this to her." Chuck held up a key. "It's to the penthouse at the Plaza. You didn't think you were both the only ones who knew about the scrapbook, did you?"

"Chuck, I... I can't believe I'm saying this, but that was really sweet." Ella said.

"I just wanted to make sure she had the perfect night."

"Your 2009 king and queen!" They announced over the speakers and everyone cheered.

Aw, who knew the mother Chucker could also play fairy godmother? But if C just made B's dreams come true, why does it feel like our queen is standing with the wrong king?

***

Ella and Serena had found Blair sat on the steps outside the entrance.

"Hey. Here you are." Ella said as they sat next to her.

"Where's the prom king?" Serena asked.

"We broke up." Blair said.

"What?" Ella asked.

"But everything was so perfect. It was like a fairy tale." Serena said.

"Turns out fairy tales end when they do for
a reason. I really wanted to go to prom with my high school boyfriend. And now that I have..."

"He feels like your high school boyfriend." Serena finished and she nodded.

"I'm sorry." Ella said.

"Me too. That you almost missed prom because your mother had you arrested." Blair said.

"You know, I actually had a lot of fun tonight. I know that whatever my mother did, she did out of love. And now I'm exactly who I want to be with - my two best friends."

Shoulder pads may come and go, but a
BFF is forever... because even when you're not sure where you're headed, it helps to know you're not going there alone. No one has all the answers, and sometimes the best we can do is just apologise and let the past be the past. Other times, we need to look to the future and know that even when we think we've seen it all, life can still surprise us, and we can still surprise ourselves. XOXO, Gossip Girl.