CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

It's a Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad World

It's said that we're all strapped to fortune's wheel

fortune's wheel. Nowhere is this truer than the ever changing landscape of love. As one couple enjoys an upswing... another is plunged downwards. But top or bottom, don't get too comfortable, because the one thing you can rely on is that the wheel will keep on turning.

***

Ella was in the kitchen with Nate.

"All right, I'm heading to my mom's for breakfast." She said and he grabbed her by her waist.

"Hey, hey, hey. You've been coming in late and leaving early all week. I'm starting to feel cheap." Nate kissed her.

"Oh, I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. Just with everything going on with my dad-"

"Hey, Ella, no worries. Okay?"

"Mm." She kissed him back.

"Look, I love being your crash pad, but you know, maybe you'd feel better if you moved back in with your mom while she's getting her treatment." Nate said.

"And have to see Jenny's lying face first thing in the morning? No, thank you." Ella said and a random girl walked past. "That is not the same girl Chuck came home with last night."

"Has he come to talk to Lily yet?" Nate asked and she shook her head. "Do you want me to talk to him?"

"No, I've already tried, but thank you. I'm gonna come to your lacrosse game after brunch." Ella said and kissed him.

"Judge away. Shame turns me on." Chuck said and Ella walked out.

***

It was at brunch, and Ella was sat on the couch with her dad and Jenny.

"You know, the last time I was invited to a ceremony in my honour, I had to slaughter
a chicken." William said.

"Well, at least you've been honoured, I've never been honoured, I did win a contest once at boarding school, and I think there was a plaque, but I'm not sure that really counts." Ella replied.

"What kind of contest?" Jenny asked.

"It was for drinking hot chocolate at the winter fair."

"I had a buddy that went to Exeter, and
the stories he tells would make Keith Richard's blush." William said.

"Yeah, um, I wasn't really into the party scene. I was there more for the academics."