CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

The Grandfather

Spring time on the Upper East Side, where the winter chill is supposed to be so last season

Spring time on the Upper East Side, where the winter chill is supposed to be so last season. But when mittens and scarves are still all the rage, the best thing you can do is just button up and hope for warmer days.

***

They made it to Nate's grandfather's mansion.

"Nate. Changed your mind." Tripp said as he walked up to them. "Hey, Ella. Nice to see you again." He said and hugged her.

"You too." She smiled.

"Yeah six times, actually." Nate said.

There was a helicopter coming down.

"That will be Grandfather. He's gonna be so surprised to see you." Tripp said.

"Wait. I thought this was his idea." Nate said.

"Not exactly."

"So I came to give him a chance, and he didn't even want one?" Nate scoffed. "No. No, no."

"Nate, wait. You've come this far, don't turn back now." Ella told him.

His grandfather walked over.

"Nathaniel. I'm so delighted you're here.
My boy!" He said and gave him a hug. "We've missed you."

Looks like E is leading a lost lamb back to the flock.

***

"So, tell me, Nathaniel, what are your plans next year?" William asked.

"Well, I'm waiting to hear back from colleges. The only thing is, when everything went down with my father, it was around the time applications were due so I didn't exactly knock the essays out of the park." Nate explained.

"Another unfortunate by product of that regrettable situation, which, I might add, you handled admirably."

"Admirably? I thought you were ashamed
of me."

"Oh, on the contrary. I've never been more proud. You stood by your mother. You got your father to do what was right. I used to worry that, um, you got her looks and his brains, but you proved me wrong on that. You're a part of this legacy, too, Nathaniel."

"So, who's up for some touch football?" Tripp asked and threw the ball at Nate which he caught.

"Come on."

***

Ella was watching them play when Tripp's wife came up to her.

"Ella, it's lovely to see you again."

"Same here. I heard about your engagement. Congratulations." She smiled.

Thank you. It means a lot."

***

Ella had been informed about Blair and was now with Serena and Chuck.

"B. B, why didn't you tell us?" Ella asked.

"What? That I was coming to debase myself by begging to be accepted at Sarah Lawrence? Gee, you're right. Why didn't I update my Facebook page." Blair said sarcastically.

"It's nice to know the old Blair is still in there somewhere." Chuck said.

"I knew you wouldn't give up." Serena said.

"You're wrong. I just did. Don't follow me!" Blair exclaimed and walked off.

Poor B. Couldn't spin this one in her favour. Looks like now she's spinning out.

***

Ella found Chuck in his room drinking.

"You left early? What happened with Blair?" She took the drink off of him. "Chuck? Okay. Fine. Have fun drinking by yourself."

"I'm losing her." Chuck spoke.

"Then fight for her. She did for you. Many times."

"I tried. I failed."

"So, then try again. She's scared, Chuck.
Her plan hasn't worked out for her, and she doesn't know what's gonna happen next.
If you wanna be back in her life, make her feel safe. You know what to say." Ella advised and left the room.