CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

The Empire Strikes Jack

They say the clothes make the man, but who makes the clothes? On the Upper East Side, it's Eleanor Waldorf, and we hear her new line is to die for

her new line is to die for.

***

Ella, Serena, Nate and Blair met Chuck in the bar.

"Chuck? Are you okay?" Blair asked.

"Hey. What's going on?" Nate asked.

"It would appear we've all been players in a Jack Bass plot. The appearance of my mother, the lawsuit... it's all been part of an elaborate ruse to get me to sign over my hotel to Elizabeth. You have to admire his handiwork." Chuck explained.

"Have you spoken to your lawyers?" Serena asked.

"Yeah, surely there's gotta be a way." Ella added.

"It turns out my lawyer was in on it. Regardless, a suit to regain control would take months, in which time Jack would
have bankrupted the hotel, making it easy pickings for whatever vultures he has lined up. My only hope is to talk to Elizabeth alone, convince her to sign the hotel back over to me." Chuck replied.

"What makes you think she's gonna do that?" Nate questioned.

"This isn't her idea. Jack has something on her. I just need to figure out what. I'll call you." Chuck left money before he walked out.

"And all this time, we thought Chuck got his dark side from his father. Maybe his mother's the one that's evil." Nate said.

"If she is his mother. The story Elizabeth told me - how do we even know if it's true?" Ella asked.

"Chuck did a DNA test. It was this guy at
the NYPD." Blair said.

"Yeah, I know, but he probably sent it out
to a lab. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Jack Bass to fake it." Nate said.

"Well, whatever the truth is, Chuck isn't ready to hear it. In the meantime, I have to get ready for a fashion show. It's in two hours and I have 30 friends coming." Blair said and left.

"What? What friends?" Nate asked.

Turned out Elizabeth wasn't Chuck's real mother after all.