CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Reversals of Fortune

Welcome back, Upper East Siders

Welcome back, Upper East Siders. After a long, hot summer away, I see it didn't take much time for you to dirty up the clean slates I gave you. My inbox is overflowing, so let's get to the good stuff, shall we? As
for a certain leggy blonde by a Hamptons pool, looks like Ella left big shoes to fill and someone finds them the perfect fit.

***

Ella pulled up in the limo to be surrounded by paparazzi.

As for Ella Walker? You left America a star.

Rufus came up to the window.

"What the hell is going on?" He asked.

"I have no idea. Please help." Ella said as he got her out the car.

But after your exploits in Europe, you've come back a supernova. And yet, nothing explodes without a fuse. I wonder what, or who, lit yours.

Ella and Rufus walked through the crowd
of paparazzi and into the hotel building.

***

Ella was walking down the street, when she stopped to see paparazzi and turned around.

"Where you headed, beautiful?"

"Carter." She tried to continue walking.

"I was in the neighbourhood."

"No, you weren't." Ella said and he laughed.

"Gossip Girl said you'd returned. I wanted to see you." Carter said in front of her.

"Now you've seen me, you can go."

"We need to talk."

"No, we don't." She said as she tried to get past him.

"Mm. I know that you're doing. You can't avoid what happened forever." Carter told her and she looked back at the paparazzi and he smirked.

"Watch me." Ella untied her straps so her dress would fall. "Oh, no!"

Spotted - Ella Walker giving Carter Baizen the slip. We've all seen the selects, but what happened between them when TMZ was MIA? Something tells me the truth is just out of focus.

***

It was the next day at the Polo Match.

"Hey! Hey, uh, what's going on here?" Ella asked as she came over.

"Your friends are trying to have me removed." Carter replied.

"Right, because you're stalking me."

"Look, you don't have to talk to him." Dan said.

"You told them I was stalking you? You wanna tell them the truth or should I?"

"What's the truth?" Serena asked.

"Yeah, Carter. What's the truth?" Ella asked.

"Sooner or later, you're gonna be alone,
with no one taking your picture. What will you do then?"

"Wait, Ella. What is he talking about?" Blair asked.

"Miss Walker, the first chukker is about to begin." A man told her.

"Oh."

"We need to take position for the first throw in."

"Yes, of course. Goodbye Carter." She walked off with the guy.

Ella had gone in the woods where Carter had found her.

"I figured you weren't planning on ridding all the way back to the city." Carter said.

"Why won't you leave me alone, Carter? You're not my boyfriend."

"No, but I seem to be the only one you tell your secrets to."

"Well, I guess that was a mistake."

"Dropping your dress, stealing a horse? All it is is a cry for attention." Carter said.

"I don't need to cry for attention. I'm getting plenty on my own, in case you haven't noticed." Ella replied.

"Yeah, plenty from everyone except the one you want it from."

"That's not true."

"He didn't want to see you, Ella."

"No, that's... that's not what happened."

"We spent a month chasing him down and then when we found him, he couldn't even meet you face to face." Carter told.

"Maybe he didn't get my message or he didn't realise who I was." Ella said.

"What, he didn't realise who his daughter was? Ella, what if your dad didn't want to see you? Who cares? Who the hell is he not to want you? I would've stayed all summer with you. But after that, you ditched me and ran again."

Ella looked down at his lips and grabbed his neck and conned their lips. Carter smirked and leaned back in.

***

"Hey, it's Ella again. I don't know if you're getting these messages or if you even check this number, but I just want you to know that I'm not gonna stop trying to get your attention. I'm gonna do whatever it takes
for however long. Bye."

Never give up. Never surrender. XOXO, Gossip Girl.