CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Southern Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Eventually, every queen finds herself in unfamiliar territory outside the castle walls

***

"You have to dump him! We caught that redneck red handed." Blair said over the phone.

"Well, obviously I'm not thrilled, but I'm gonna get to the bottom of this on my own. Now why can't you worry about your own relationship problems for a change?"

"What does that supposed to mean?"

"It was Friday night, and you were out spying on my boyfriend, instead of seeing a movie or something. Why can't anybody see a movie around here?" Ella said and the lift opened to reveal Gabriel. "I have to call you later."

"Ella, there's something you should know. Last night I was..."

He had told her everything.

"Are you sleeping with her?" Ella asked.

"No. No. Not since I met you. I told her that I just needed space and time to think. But the truth is, I... I'd just like to never see her again. You know, when I first came to New York, I didn't know many people. And all the investors in my company are her contacts. And when she found out about us, she threatened to pull them... so I told her that you and I were over. If she found out the truth, I could lose everything. Do you hate me?"

"No, I don't hate you. But I hate lying. And you lied to me. And you lied to Poppy and... Well, despite everything she is still my friend and I care about her." Ella said.

"I didn't plan on falling in love with you." He told her.

"Gabriel, you have to tell her about us."

"I can't. You know how jealous she is. And I've spent two years developing this company. It's everything to me. It's finally that chance to be free from my parents." Gabriel said.

"By tying yourself to Poppy? I've done this before in the past. I can't do that again."

"Listen, these contracts will be done in one week. And after that, I promise you I will tell her everything. Trust me. The money she'll make, it'll cushion the blow."

"As long as it's not physical, Then I... I guess I can live with it. But only for a week. I mean it." Ella said and he nodded.

"Okay." Gabriel took her hand. "Believe me... I only have eyes for one girl. And she is the most exquisite thing I've ever seen." He kissed her hand and she looked at him and smiled.