56. Let's try again, shall we?

As Jungkook and his parents walked into the living room, there was a lingering feeling of anticipation. Would they be more welcoming now, or did they hate me even more?

Junghyun seemed to have a silent conversation with Jungkook and then stood up, smiling at me.

"Well then, why don't we start eating? The food will get cold if it just sits out like that," He motions to the food spread out on the dining table. Jungkook grins, nodding in agreement.

"Yes, I've been craving mom's cooking," Jungkook comments, taking my hand and guiding me to the dining table. His parents share a look before coming to the table as well. The atmosphere was tense, and I noticed the judgmental looks from his parents were less than before.

The table was set with a large variety of foods, all of which looked absolutely delicious. I was hoping that once we started eating, they would start to ease up and be more welcoming. It was a long shot, but I wanted to remain hopeful for Jungkook's sake.

The table was silent as his mom filled plates with food, and I sucked up my anxiety and decided to start a conversation.

"So... what's the age difference between you and Jungkook?" I ask Junghyun, praying this would start a conversation and not be awkward. His brother smiles, seemingly noticing my nervousness.

"We're three years apart. It was a very loud house when the two of us were kids," He chuckles, ruffling Jungkook's hair. Jungkook swats his hand away with a smile.

"Do you have any siblings?" Junghyun asks, thanking his mom as she placed the plates in front of everyone. I thanked her as well before answering.

"Yup, I'm the oldest of 4. There was never a quiet moment in my house either," I joke, trying to break the tense atmosphere. Jungkook's dad smiled just slightly, but I noticed it right away. Maybe there is hope...

"...Somi, you said you work in music, yes? Where do you work, and what do you do?" His mom asks, and I glance at Jungkook. I was happy his mom was talking to me without throwing insults at my face, but something about the way she asked the question felt off.

"I actually work at Bighit as a producer. It was a very recent switch, but I'm excited to be able to work on music like I always dreamed," I respond, taking a bite of food. The flavors melted on my tongue, and I knew the rest of the food would be as good as that one bite. His mom looks at me skeptical, starting to eat as well.

"Oh? So you work directly with Jungkook... interesting..." There was another pause in the conversation, the clinking of plates and silverware filling the room. It was an awkward, lingering silence, and I couldn't stand it. I kept a smile on my face, eating slowly. I suddenly felt something brush past my leg and I froze. Glancing down, I see a ball of white fluff setting directly by my feet, wagging its tail. The dog comes out from under the table and barks, looking at me expectantly.

"No food for you, Gureum," Jungkook grins, shaking his head. I smile down at the dog, gently patting his head. His tail wagged before he jumped up onto my lap, making me yelp in surprise. I hear Jungkook laugh, leaning over to pet the dog's head.

"You like her, don't you Guerum? Well, sorry buddy, you can't be up here right now," Jungkook gently picks the dog up, placing him on the floor. I smile, shaking my head.

"I wasn't expecting that, he's so cute," I comment, dusting my dress off. His parents seemed to have relaxed more, with small smiles lingering on their faces.

"Guerum doesn't like many people, so if he likes you... maybe we should give you another chance," His dad comments, putting his spoon down. I look up, surprised. His mom nodded, following suit. Jungkook's dad stands up, reaching his hand out. I look at his hand before slowly standing up as well, shaking his hand.