chapter 17:

The council kept her busy with assignments (as Foxfire was closed for mid-term break) so she was surprised when two weeks later they let her have a break, "Go, take time to process." Emery said.

As she leaped to her Councilor castle, she heard her imparter buzz it was Elwin, "Hello Sophie, can you please come to the healing center there is someone here for you that you will want to see." Then he hung up without waiting for a response.

Sophie rolled her eyes and grabbed Sandor's hand (as Ro had gone to ravarog to ask permission from her father to be Sophie's bodyguard officially.) and leaped away to the healing center.

When she got there Elwin was standing by the door, "Hello as I said on the imparter someone you would want to see is here."

"There is no one I would want to see except..." She trailed off not wanting to cry.

"I am going to hail ONE of your friends for emotional support. Who would you like me to hail?" Elwin asked and Sophie wondered why she would need emotional support.

"Dex." She said the only friend who was alive that she would want for support.

"Okay." Elwin said,"Stop there Councilor." Elwin said, when she moved to follow him into the healing center and then he went inside and heard him say,"A Councilor is here to see you." She couldn't hear the person's reply then she heard Dex's voice and Elwin said, "Come to the healing center."

Dex appeared with Lovsie," What's going on Councilor marsh-mal? "

Sophie opened her mouth to answer and Elwin interrupted,"Councilor come in." and Sophie opened her mouth and again Elwin interrupted, "Yes,your body guards may come in too."

Sophie suppressed a laugh at how well Elwin knew her and walked through the door looking back at Dex, Sandor and Flori when they all stiffened and Dex turned as white as Mount Everest's peak, Sophie slowly turned around expecting the worst but she wasn't prepared to see Keefe sitting on a cot staring at her like she was the most precious thing in the universe.

"Hey Lady Fos-boss." He whispered while still staring at her and his emotions were a whirlwind and she couldn't decipher them even a little bit except for one...love.

"Actually it is Councilor Fos-boss now." Dex said, in a monotone voice and Keefe stiffened,"Yo-you're a Councilor Sophie?"

"Yes Keefe." Sophie replied, looking at the floor in shame remembering the one form the one that will define her future...

"Are you okay Councillor Sophie or do you need me to bow or something?" Keefe said, looking VERY serious and handsome even with his scars- Sophie snapped out of that WEIRD train of thought and realized he was staring at her looking for an answer,"Yes I am okay Keefe thank you for asking except for-" She cut herself off and shook her head,"Yes i'm okay and no I don't need you to bow. And don't think just because you're my friend I wouldn't throw a dozen elixirs at you with my telekinesis if you did because..." she added, trying to joke around but trailed off because he was looking at her like he was scanning her for injuries and then she realized, OH Cockatrice! HE WAS THE PRISONER!

Keefe smiled a sad smile at her and whispered, "you finally figured it out did ya?"

"K-Keefe I-I'm sorry I-" She began,"No, you don't get to be sorry Sophie you don't NEED to be sorry for ANYTHING." Keefe interrupted her his eyes pleading to understand his misery and the hopeless-ness of his situation, finding out the person you loved can't love you back in the same way.

"Still,I'm sorry..." Sophie said, trailing off when she realized something was wrong he didn't say anything but she could feel his emotions change; anger overtook,love stayed and soul-crushing depression also appeared as well as a type of sickeningly strange fear that crushed her heart and mind.