✁ CHAPTER 1

I was drunk and I was driving my car in the middle of the night. Honestly, I would not have cared much even if I died crashing the car in a truck that night but unfortunately, the car did crash but I did not die. Mostly because it was not a truck I ran into but a car like mine.

I clearly remember pushing the break but maybe I was too drunk to have just imagined pressing it.

When I woke up two days later in the hospital I did not remember much but a hollow figure came to my mind again and again since then.

I remember the lights, the sound, and the sudden stillness in motion. My head felt heavy and I could not move. A prolonged beep sound kept ringing in my head. I was in pain, so much pain that I closed my eyes. When I opened them again, someone was pulling me outside of the broken car.

The figure I remember was tripping often himself.

I do not remember anything else, and the next moment, I was up at the hospital with my parents around.

It has been a year and a half since then but I can't get over the nightmares even till now.

Being a psychologist myself, I narrate the same story to myself every night I wake up shouting breathlessly with sweat all over my forehead but my mind never really grasps it properly to let it go.

I sigh and get up from the bed. My head feels a little heavy from the unforeseen terror I just had but I place my footing properly on the floor.

I take a glass from the table and fill it up with some water.

My dry throat loses up after drinking the water from the glass.

I glance at the clock on the wall, It's 3:15 am right now.

I quickly go back to my bed. I don't want to be late to the clinic tomorrow. I am an intern after all, there is no way Mr. Thomas will let go of this carelessness.

I close my eyes and try thinking of something else... anything other than that night. It worked.

The next morning I woke up at 7 as soon as the alarm clock rang.

I quickly change into my professional clothes after washing up. Putting on the minimal makeup I usually wear on such days, I walk out of my apartment greeting Miss Terry who was apparently watering the plants in front of her flat.

I decided to have something in the canteen today because if I start cooking something to eat now, I'll be dead in the clinic later.

The bus ride was pretty hectic especially because of the woman I sat beside. She kept on complaining about everyone on the bus on her call which of course included me and my flying hair.

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"Good Morning, Erica!"

Greeted Mark who was a fellow intern here. We were in the same university before this. We were not typical friends but we did exchange notes and helped each other in projects. He was never much social and I was nowhere near to being a social geek.

"Good morning!"

I waved back with a grin heading towards Mr. Thomas's office.

{Being 23 would not be the same again, I knew from before but I could have not ever thought how much is this year going to change my life}

"May I come in sir?"

I asked as a courtesy before heading inside like always but my eyes flickered a bit after seeing he was not alone in his chamber.

"There you are!"

Mr. Thomas who was nearly in his 60s stood up with a smile.

The man sitting from across him looked up in my direction, and I smiled as professionally as I could.

"This is Erica Martin. I think she would be perfect for this case and I am always there for the honoured family"

His glance shifted to the older man sitting across from him.

The man smiled mildly at me getting up from the chair. I keep standing there not having a clue of what is happening.

"Isn't she too young for the task?"

He says in a low voice to Mr. Thomas.

"Is that not exactly what you are trying to look for, Mr. Ken?"

His voice was even lower but my ears are too efficient in their job.

"Okay then. Let me know before the visit"

They shook hands and the older man, Mr. Ken, left the chamber.

I looked at Mr. Thomson cluelessly.

"Erica, you have been doing excellently in the chamber for months now"

He starts while arranging the scattered files on the table.

"As soon as I heard from Mr. Ken, I thought it has to be a great opportunity for you off chamber. You might treat it as a milestone of the career you are going to start from next year!"

He says looking at me now with a proud smile.

"An off-chamber case?"

I say already startled and shocked.

"Yes. Not just an off-chamber case but a case concerning the living heir of The Dominion company of exclusive silk textile"

He says standing up, his lightened face slowly turning serious.

"His case is pretty tragic, Erica. Vivian Carter was fine until the last to last year but then because of a game injury in his head he suffered a severe TBI as far as I had diagnosed last year"

He takes a sip from his coffee mug.

"A Traumatic Brain Injury? How is he doing now?"

I ask out of curiosity.

"He has always been a dominator all his life before the accident. How can you possibly think he will let that prominent characteristic go away just because of TBI? His behavior is deteriorating each month with his increased aggression. He is a subject of care in this society but as you know I always stay put to my decisions and so I want you to take over from now that he is back from his hometown village last night"

He finishes while handing me a bunch of files.

"Will I be able to do this?"

I stutter not sure of my own capability.

"The least you can do is try, Erica... plus I am there to guide you anyway. You'll do just fine"

He says with a humble smile pasted on his lips.

"But if the condition deteriorates,"

He began but I cut him off halfway through.

"The clinic won't be responsible. I know Mr. Thomas and I will give it my best shot"

I don't really know if I am assuring him or reassuring myself.

A/N

Keeping in mind it is the first chapter I tried keeping its length minimally decent :D

Please don't forget to vote and comment!