✁ CHAPTER 4

"What exactly happened on that day"

He mumbled to himself, repeating after me.

"I...I was-"

His right hand slowly reached his hair which was not a mess this time but was soon to be.

He held his head tightly trying to remember any detail that he might tell me of.

He backs off and holds the wall for support.

I walk ahead and bring him a chair to sit in. 

I know putting too much pressure on him might hurt his head but if we don't put any pressure then how would he ever recover? How would he ever get back his memory that might not be lost but buried instead?

"Sit down, Carter"

I say in a low and softer tone but it looks like he is not here anymore.

He is still thinking. It is getting frustrating for him, he wants to remember but he can't seem to find the information he is looking for, he wants his mind to bow down to him, he wants it to listen to everything he says and do everything he wants it to but unfortunately he is out of his mind's control, probably for the first time after the injury, because maybe he never tried to do this earlier, maybe no one asked him to.

He screams holding his head in between both his hands.

His face has turned so red.

This scream is not frustration but pain.

"Carter? It's alright, calm down"

I hold his hands gently trying to make his pain go away.

"Carter, can you hear me?"

I ask again as soon as he walks away from me groaning with the same intensity.

I follow him and rub his back, internally questioning my own decisions.

The helpers come into the scene and hold him still, making him mad again.

"Leave him for god's sake! Let him breathe goddamit. Leave the suffering man some peace and get the hell out of here if you can't wait to get my instructions before you act on your own"

I shout at them, tears boiling up in my eyes.

For a second I thought I needed to rush him to Dr. Thomas.

How could I throw him in the pit for experimenting with what he can and what not? This was a bad idea. I have not discovered his limitations yet and I threw him to run across the final extent.

Before I knew it, Mr. Ken with his servants had already come inside hearing my shout. The workers left without any response and Carter was now looking at me with calm blue eyes, almost like something pulled him back into the room from the maze of his own mind.

His face is not that red anymore.

I turn around and wipe off my one to two drops of tears.

"Is everything okay, Miss Martin?"

I completely ignore Mr. Ken's interrogation and turn toward Carter.

"Carter, I will come to meet you tomorrow at your house, and never let those two men catch hold of you in my presence. Will you let me help you until you can again stand up for yourself like you previously used to?"

I ask in a calm tone but only he could see the pleading in my eyes, of course, if he could distinguish it anyway.

He turned around and started walking toward the door without any word.