✁ CHAPTER 27

I lay on the bed sleeplessly thinking of everything I needed to do tomorrow and how risky might it be for me as well as Vivian. Not just us but every person who comes my way.

My fear vanishes away every now and then whenever Vivian's face crosses my mind. Especially the rare smile that appears so sharply, so unexpectedly.

I sit up on the bed ruffling my hair.

I sigh and walk out of my room wearing the woolen sweater that was kept on the armchair, previously.

Only I know how much trouble I had convincing Vivian that sleeping in my room wouldn't be an issue. If someone wanted to kill me, they already would have. It was just an attempt to either shut me down or convince me that something was wrong with my health making me go back but none of that is happening.

Nate was out of town for today so I did not get the time to discuss it with him. I need to know certain things about Carter that I cannot possibly ask Carter directly.

I walk down the stairs slowly.

I will talk to Nate tomorrow when he comes back. It is time I ask for his assistance.

Originally I was on my way to the kitchen to bring a jug of water that even after reminding myself several times before I walked upstairs after dinner, I forgot but I stopped as soon as I saw someone sitting on one of the stairs very quietly.

I felt a shiver in my spine yet I walked a few steps down with the tiny torchlight of my phone.

I do not directly point it at the figure or he'll know I am here and I won't have any self-defence in the middle of the staircase.

Isn't he Jason?

I walked further down.

And he is crying...

I switched the light off because the lamp lights on the roof are enough for talking to a person I know.

I quietly walk down, beside him and sit without looking at him directly.

He gasps, perhaps scared but then he cools down after he sees me.

"What are you doing here kid?"

I finally look at him.

He wipes off his tears, trying his best to smile but I can see his pain.

"Just trying to get into the role I am appointed in the drama club of my college, doc"

He says, new tears brewing up in his eyes.

My heart shatters.

"Is that so? Then tell me, why is your character crying"

I say smiling gently.

He looks back at the dark stairs in front with saddened eyes, the ones I have never seen on him.

"The character I am playing is an orphan. He is taken up by an unmarried man. He later finds out the man is his father who left his lover without knowing she was pregnant after his conscience hit him. His mother died giving birth to him. He is not angry at his father for not loving him the way other kids of his age are loved but at his mother who could not live for him"

He started crying pools of tears as soon as he was done and I hugged him gently giving him a shoulder to cry on.

"How long were you holding yourself together, Jason?"

I ask as a tear rolls down my cheek seeing the boy with the most glorious of smiles cry like this for a reason I am not courageous enough to relate to.

He slowly pulls himself back whipping his tears and calming himself up.