✁ CHAPTER 19

I walked out of the bus and quickly flashed my umbrella over my head.

It is snowing lightly tonight and it's chilly.

I have just three days left for Christmas and we are supposed to leave by the second. I have packed nothing. It's Christmas and like every year buying a new dress is like a mandatory ritual even if I don't go out anyway.

I stopped near the mall where I normally buy winter clothes.

I walk inside and start looking for a dress on the ground floor itself even when I know I am not going to buy anything from here. I will end up going to the second floor to actually buy something.

I looked around at different dresses and then I suddenly thought, shouldn't I buy something for Carter and Jason for Christmas? Do we share such a relationship or am I just being over dramatic?

I decided to gift them something at the end.

If I want to, I will... is all I can think of.

I hopped to a different corner of the floor and started looking at the untouched set of dresses when my eyes suddenly squint because of a flash.

I gasped and held myself steadily.

Trigger.

It's okay.

You are in a mall. It's fine.

When I could think again properly I quickly looked at the direction it came from.

There was no one. It was empty.

People were roaming around everywhere else but not there. Possibly because that row consists of shabby clothes.

I looked back at the clothes I was seeing previously but I found myself frequently looking back at that row.

Shaking off the feeling, I walk up the escalator and reach the glorious floor of a beautiful set of clothes with beautiful lights and a ton of happy faces of every age group.

It is so striking that this time of the year is such a great time for so many souls out there. I wish I could feel the same.

After roaming around for hours, I finally managed to buy a fluffy sweater with a matching woolen scarf, my favorite combo.

I stopped at a snack corner to buy myself some dinner because I would probably have no energy left in me to make myself a proper dinner when I reach home in a while.

I was really hoping that I wouldn't cross paths with any of my chirpy neighbors because all I want to do now, is lay back on my bed but like always, things don't go my way and I meet Mr. and Mrs. Terry. It is not always bad to talk to people who radiate warmth even when you feel like your spine is tearing apart.

They are going back to their country home today. That felt great to hear but it also made me miss my family hard. This is going to be one of those very rare Christmases when I do not go back.

I sigh as I turn the lights of my bedroom on.

I sit at the corner and stare at the window glass that gives a slight view of the starlit town.

Since when did I start finding my small little flat so big and empty? From when did this prolonged silence start eating me up? Since when did I start missing someone else's presence besides mine?

I shake it off taking out my phone from my pocket to find a missed call from the number Dr. Zain gave me the other day.

I quickly sat up on my bed with sheer excitement.