✁ CHAPTER 7

"Hey Mom"

I say putting the phone near my ear while I look out of the bus's window.

"Are you not home?"

She sounds concerned.

"No Mom. I am going to my patient's house"

I tell Mom but for the first time, I felt so strange calling him my patient. Somehow he does not fall in the typical patient list I have created in my head in all these years.

"Is it that heir you talked about that day?"

Mom asks.

"Vivian, mom, Vivian Carter"

I sigh.

"Yes right. By the way, are you really not coming for Christmas at all?"

She says making me irritated this time.

"How many times do I need to tell you that I can't? Plus don't you know how much I hate going home for Christmas?"

I finally tell her.

There was a long silence between us.

"Why can't you just let it go, Eri? It has been so many years since Emma left"

Her voice was so low that I doubted if someone sitting beside her would not hear that at all.

"She did not leave on her own mom. You guys left her. She had to leave. Goodnight"

My skin shivers all of a sudden and my little sister's face flashes in my mind making me emotional enough to make me completely hide my face behind the seat in front.

How I wish I could be by her side like I am trying my best for my patients... like I am there for Carter.

It always sounds like the sea could not meet the sky on the horizon at all... even when the ocean needed the sky and the sky was more than ready to reach the sea out of all the odds surrounding them.

✄ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈ ┈

"But I need to talk to him"

I try explaining to Mr. Ken how much important is it for me to talk to Carter now.

"Miss Martin, I don't think it is an appropriate time for you to meet young master"

Mr. Ken says on the call.

"I am standing outside the house, sir. I came all the way here to meet him"

I almost shout at the phone.

"Yes I understand but I am not there, Miss Martin. What if something happens?"

He tries explaining his part.

"For me or him? I won't do anything to him, I am his psychologist. I get paid for that sir and he won't do anything to me. I believe he is wiser than what you people think of him"

I say rigidly.

The maid looks at me while I talk to Mr. Ken from the window.

"I am really sorry but I am not given any orders to let anyone get inside after 8 at night"

He says.

That's it then. I thought to myself before cutting his call.

"Carter!"

I shout my lungs out while I circle around the house without getting inside.

"I need to talk to you!"