✁ CHAPTER 23

"We are really pleased to have you here, Miss Martin"

Says Nate and I quickly put my phone away.

After Carter left I could not make myself go upstairs because I was a guest here after all and it won't look good. I sent Jason after him instead and since then Jason has not shown up.

The evening was filled with laughter, melodies, and gossip everywhere yet I could not make myself enjoy it anyhow.

I talked to Carter's aunt for a while though and it seemed the company Ben Carter owned was not a family business and that they had no share in it which greatly upset them I don't have a clue as to why.

Nate is the older brother. He was supposed to own the company someday anyway so it has nothing to with Vivian at all, I thought to myself.

"That is just too kind of you, Sir"

I smile.

"You can call me Nate"

He says putting the empty glass in his hand on the table behind.

"Sure"

I say awkwardly.

"I did not see Vivian's doctor here. Jason told me he was supposed to come here tonight"

I say trying to sound like I am just trying to make a conversation.

"He must have some proper reasons for not attending, I am sure. Nevertheless, he will come here tomorrow for his checkup"

Nate says and suddenly raises his eyes to the roof and looks back at me.

"Why?"

He adds.

"Jason was telling me Carter is not taking his medicines properly so I thought maybe his doctor can just talk to him about that"

I lie.

"He is not taking his medicines?"

His voice rose slightly.

"I guess"

I look away, thinking if I am making things difficult for Carter here or not.

"I see. No problem, Dr. Steve will check him up tomorrow"

He says sighing.

"It is getting late, Miss Martin. Come I'll escort you to your room"

He says smiling again, after a while of unbothered conversation.

These Carter genes are amazing.

"My pleasure"

I smile and start walking beside him.

We walk up the stairs in silence until he starts a conversation I least expected would take place.

"You are a bit too courageous for your age, are you not?"

His head turns to mine while our legs still move forward.

"Well..."

I visibly search for words not knowing exactly what he is trying to mean.

He laughs shortly and I turn to his eyes again from the empty air.

"I mean the way you stood up for Vivian in front of a room full of men and women you don't even know"

He looks ahead again.

I smile to myself feeling a sense of pride in myself.

"You must be curious why could I not do the same"