✁ CHAPTER 18

There are pieces of glass everywhere on the floor and he is sitting barefoot. There are already a few cuts in his foot.

I walk ahead making way for him, sliding away the glass pieces with my shoe.

I hold his wide wrist and walk him out of the room.

I don't make him go downstairs in this condition. I make him sit on the sofas of the living room instead.

I shout from the stairs, asking the maid to bring a first-aid kit.

Turning around I find him looking at me, waiting patiently.

I walk ahead and sit on the floor in front of him, examining his foot still confused as to what must have acted like a trigger to him.

Is it a word or maybe some clothes, might be a particular topic even.

"Here"

The maid runs up the stairs, panting.

She walks toward Carter while opening the box but I stretch my hand, interrupting.

"I- I'll do it."

I say taking the box.

I don't mention that he is now my responsibility to look after. I don't mention how much I waited for this day to finally come. I don't mention what he did for me back then and what I had unintentionally taken away from him. I don't mention being his doctor is not the only relationship I share with him. I don't at all mention how my heart flutters every time he comes closer to me. How can I, when I am so lost myself?

"The room is a mess"

I inform without looking up from the box.

I take his foot in my lap and the maid walks into his bedroom.

"Tell me when it hurts"

I say looking at him fixing me with an unwavering stare.

I put some ointments and bandaged the portion of a long cut.

I gasp myself sometimes while examining his cuts.

I stand up and take his face in my hands to find if there are any other cuts other than the one on his nose stretching to one of his cheeks.

As I cleanse the area and put in some ointments, I can't help but go back to his calm eyes that are invading my peace with every interaction.

His hand coils around my waist and tightens, pulling me slightly closer. I look at him with surprise.

"huh?"

I ask unable to read his expression.

He seems so blank.

I see his eyes turning slightly red and a glittering touch of sparks in them.

My hands which were on his shoulders for a while are now moving to his face.

"Are you okay?"

I ask, concerned.

"Will you mind?"

He says in a low voice and his head drops to my collarbones, hugging me.

I look at the wall behind him completely clueless but then one of my hands holds his back and the other gently rubs his hair.

What is hurting you, Carter?

Since I was a little kid, I always started crying seeing someone else cry. I find it so hard to not cry in someone else's pain. That was one of the many reasons I decided to work for the socially disabled people to let them know 'it's okay', to let them know there will always be someone who will grieve for them no matter what.