Nightdreams and Daymares

TW: Drinking

It was the 9th of June when Draco Malfoy sided-along Harry Potter to his house for the second time. One month ago, Draco was waking up at Øistein Viken Sykehus and having a fight with Harry over the past. A fight that led to the apology that Draco always felt he owed Harry, and an apology from Harry he never thought he deserved. Two weeks later, was the first time that Harry stretched out a hand to him, after sleeping on his shoulder on the outskirts of Hogwarts with an empty bottle of whisky they'd shared.

And now, now Draco was laughing at Harry's latest joke, while entering his kitchen and searching around for another bottle of aged firewhisky and something to cook for dinner while Harry dropped his Auror robes in one of his kitchen chairs. Harry's jeans and white shirt gave him a dishevelled air that matched perfectly with his personality. Harry looked great in fancy clothes, but those simple jeans and white shirt could make him look hotter than anyone else, at least in Draco Malfoy's eyes.

The world around them was burning. Everything was falling apart. Draco's feelings had been shattered, and his heart needed a break. He didn't want to think about his mother, or about the case. There was much he needed to do about Narcissa Malfoy, but not now. There was much he needed to do about Aurum Papilio and her madness, but not now. Now he needed to forget. So he could pretend, for a night, that all was well, couldn't he? They could hide there, inside Draco's new house, inside the life he wished, inside the dream of having Harry all to himself, hugging him, and comforting him... It was an absurd dream, he knew that, but Draco was allowed to dream it. He knew that the mere possibility of Harry was better than the reality of anyone else.

However, dreaming about having Harry Potter felt beautiful yet somehow strange, like snow on a beach. It may look amazing, but those two things clearly didn't belong together. One belonged to the summer and to the light while the other belonged to the winter and to the darkness. Yet, for a fleeting moment, in some hidden corner of the world, they were allowed to exist together, weren't they? So Draco could dream of that, couldn't he? Even if it was just for a single night, in that small corner of his world.

So, deciding to dream, Draco opened the bottle of whisky that Henrik gave him for his birthday and poured them a good dose. They toasted and downed it all in one gulp.

– Shit, Draco, this is strong! – Harry coughed. – Where the hell is that from?

Draco laughed.

– Is it? I can't really tell anymore after living with the Hagströms. This firewhisky is Norwegian, Henrik's own making. He brought me one last Thursday for my birthday. – Draco explained.

– It was your birthday last Thursday?! Why didn't you say something? – Harry was a bit crossed.

– Well, I actually forgot. I only remembered it was the 5th when I got home and the Hagströms were here... – Draco smiled fondly at the memory, while trying to get his focus back on the dinner.

Draco remembered that now, he had a real family. It was not the family that gave birth to him, or from which he carried the name, it was a family he chose, and that chose him back. Remembering the Hagströms calmed his heart a bit. Harry was right, he owed his mother and his father nothing. With that small relieve in mind, and the calming presence of Harry Potter in his kitchen, Draco absently flipped a pan in his hand, and landed it on the stove, and didn't even notice Harry staring at him.

Harry didn't comment anything more on the birthday matter and was just staring at Draco silently, with a small smile on his lips. Draco had already chosen the menu for the night and had gone into his cooking-mode, where a small smile found a way to his lips, and his eyes finally had some peace in them. Cooking had always helped him to relax. Draco had some meat at home, but it was not the best meat, so better to spicy it up and get a curry done. He was wondering if he should go for Indian or Japanese style.