The obsidian box

Harry stared at his reflection in the mirror on the morning of May 8th, trying to understand what had become of his life, and how was that he ended up eating dinner and playing quidditch in Norway with Draco Malfoy on the previous night. Harry once again thought that if he went back in time and told that to his 16-year-old self, obsessed with finding out what Malfoy was up to in their sixth year, his 16-year-old self would probably put him in either a muggle asylum or in St. Mungus, under the care of a very capable mind Healer. Especially after the constant thought that haunted his mind, repeating over and over again how attractive Draco Malfoy had become.

But yet, here he was, dinner with quidditch in Norway with Draco Malfoy he had, and his heart would still go out for a race every time he remembered Malfoy's piercing gray eyes looking up at him after that crazy race to the snitch. He could remember how his brain went all out of function after Teddy jumped on of him and he collapsed on top of Malfoy. Harry shook his head, telling himself that he could not let his crazy obsession with Malfoy take over his life like that. Whatever it was that had happened after that game, he just had to forget the whole thing. Especially the things he had said on impulse.

However, despite his better judgment, in these past few days Harry had started to look at Malfoy a bit differently. And it had nothing to do with how annoyingly perfect Malfoy looked, but with who he had become. After knowing a small bit of what he had gone through, Harry was starting to review everything he knew about Draco Malfoy under a new light. Harry never thought that Bellatrix Lestrange would have tortured him, much less forced him to do so many things, from learning dark magic to tracking down outcasted family members for the mad woman to kill.

Harry knew Malfoy had a messed-up family, but the latest information had put things into a new perspective, and Harry was actually surprised that Malfoy only turned into an annoying but yet very skilled investigator, instead of a full psychopath Dark Wizard.

And Harry had to admit that Draco Malfoy was the investigator that had uncovered the most problematic case that Harry had to deal with since the chasing and arresting of multiple Death Eaters spread across Europe after the war. Harry had faced that impossible task when he was yet supposed to be an Auror in training. It was crazy now, to think back and realize that people actually let him partially in charge of such an important operation when he was only 18. And it was even crazier to think he actually succeeded.

However, there was one thing that always rang in the back of his mind whenever he remembered his 'miracle arrests'. Harry still had to figure out where the anonymous tips he received on the Death Eaters came from. Harry was not told at the time where all that information had come from, and he didn't mind not knowing it at first.

When Harry first considered being an Auror, he thought it would be all action and magic duels and catching bad guys. But then he had to go through the horcrux hunting, the crazy arresting of the Death Eaters, and all the training on finding missing people, so Harry slowly understood the true value of information in his line of work.

After some years, especially after he learned how valuable information could be, not knowing where all that intel came from started bothering him very much. At that time, they had received intel on who the Death Eaters were, their hiding places, and even some of their financial movements, and where they kept their money hidden. And it was based on that information that Harry managed to arrest so many people.

At some point, Harry started asking himself where all that vital information he had received came from. He had dug up the archives in the Auror Headquarters for countless days but found absolutely nothing. Then he saw the same thing happening over and over again throughout the years, in other important cases: key information always arrived to him in very conspicuous moments, given by an anonymous source, and allowing him to make an arrest, or intercept a dangerous item in time. It was annoying how everyone in the department just told him to let go, that it was a waste of time questioning where the intel came from.