Thirty-One: Ring

ARIEN

"I am nervous." Zahria was chewing on her lips as she stared at the door.

I stroked her hair. "There's no need to be."

"I know, I know. But no one has ever taken me to meet their parents, what if they don't like me?" Her eyes widened. "Oh, do they know I am Horace's daughter?"

"That doesn't change anything. No one will judge you, believe me."

She nodded hesitantly, pressing closer to me.

We spent the weekend in DC, staying at her parents' house before we flew back yesterday.

Hearing her say that she loved me was an indescribable feeling, the way my heart picked up speed and tears gathered in my eyes. Fuck, I have been crying a lot these days. All happy tears.

For a second I thought I was dreaming, I was half asleep anyway but then I had to confirm it.

Ever since that moment, I keep asking her to say those three words every waking moment. Does that make me sound annoying? Yes. Do I care? No.

I love this woman. I would be a fucking fool to not love her.

The said love of my life was bouncing from one foot to another, stalling from entering.

Taking her hand, I typed in the passcode and pushed open the door and dragged her inside.

Inside the living room, Uncle, Asael and Verena were seated around the couch, talking.

All their attention turned to us and Zahria gave them all a small, shy wave.

Verena was up on her feet instantly, taking Ria away from my side, and talking non-stop.

Before Verena could indulge her further in her gossip, I introduced Ria to Uncle who smiled at her warmly and patted her on the shoulder once without any judgment in his eyes unlike what Ria thought.

I led her further inside the house to meet Aunty and we found her in the kitchen, supervising the cooks.

She looked way too excited to see Ria as she rushed over to us and grabbed her hands, clutching them tightly.

Zahria glanced at me, perplexed and I shrugged.

"Thank you for everything", she spoke softly and emotionally.

"Thank you?" Zahria questioned.

She smiled. "For loving my boy, for healing him."

My boy.

Fuck, now I was getting emotional too as I walked out of there, leaving them to talk alone.

I waited outside the kitchen and a minute later Zahria joined me. "You should go talk to her."

"About what?"

"You know what", she whispered. "You should definitely ask her, Ari, she would love to be called mom by you."

"I don't know..."

"Please, do this for me." She pouted, batting her eyelashes at me. "Please."

I sighed. "Stop giving me that look."

She didn't listen, giving me her puppy eyes. "You love me, na?"

"Ugh, fine. Go, shoo." I playfully shoved her away and took a deep breath.

I can do this.

Determined, I walked into the kitchen where Aunty was tasting something from one of the pots on the stove and she gave her feedback to the cook before turning her attention to me. "Yes, Arien?"