THE WOLF AND THE LION

Ned is seen entering a tent where a group of Silent Sisters are prepring Hugh's body for funeral rites. Barristan is standing guard when Ned enters the tent.

Ned: Does Ser Hugh have any family in the capital?

Barristan: No. I stood vigil for him myself last night. He had no one else.

Ned glances at Hugh's armor, which is being cleaned by another Silent Sister.

Ned: He'd never worn this armor before.

Barristan: Bad luck for him - going against the Mountain.

Ned: Who determines the draw?

Barristan: All the knights draw straws, Lord Stark.

Ned: Aye. But who holds the straws? [to the Silent Sisters] You've done good work, Sisters.

They walk out of the tent. As they do, a squire hands Barristan his helmet and fastens his cape onto his armor.

Barristan: Life is strange. Not so many years ago we fought as enemies at the Trident.

Ned: I'm glad we never met on the field, Ser Barristan, as is my wife. I don't think the widow's life would suit her.

Barristan: You're being modest. I've seen Aldo cut down a dozen great knights.

Ned: And you recruited him into the Order, didn't you?

Barristan: That I did.

Ned: My father once told me you were the best he'd ever seen. I never knew the man to be wrong about matters of combat.

Barristan: He was a fine man, your father. What the Mad King did to him was a terrible crime.

Ned points back to Hugh's tent'

Ned: And that lad - he was a squire until a few months ago. How could he afford a new suit of armor?

Barristan: Perhaps Lord Arryn left him some money?

Barristan: I hear the King wants to joust today.

Ned: Yes. That will never happen.

Barristan: Robert tends to do what he wants.

Ned: If the King got what he wanted all the time, he'd still be fighting a damned rebellion.

Aldo enters Robert's tent where Lancel Lannister is trying to put Robert's armor on him, to little success.

Lancel: It's made too small, Your Grace. It won't go.

Rober: Your mother was a dumb whore with a fat ass. Did you know that?

Lancel looks insulted, but continues to try and put the armor on the king. After a moment he gives up and steps aside.

Robert: Look at this idiot! One ball and no brains. He can't even put a man's armor on him properly.

Aldo: You're too fat for your armor.

Robert: Fat? Fat, is it? Is that how you speak to your king?

Aldo gives him a look and they begin laughing. Lancel laughs too.

Robert: That was funny, is it?

Lancel: [nervously] No, Your Grace.

Robert: No? You don't like the Defender's joke?

Lancel is at a loss for words as he looks between them

Aldo: You're torturing the poor boy....

Robert: You heard the Defender. The King's too fat for his armor! Go find the breastplate stretcher, now!