Ch 96: The Carnell touch

Peter's pov

The cold, damp concrete floor pressed against my cheek as the boots of my captors landed another round of painful kicks.

I could feel the bruises forming, and I knew I needed a way out of this mess.

One of them grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, his voice gruff, "Look at this tough guy. Think you're a hero, huh?"

"No, I think you are fat!" I grinned.

He growled and threw me on the ground.

Ouch, fucking barbaric! I guess I broke a backbone.

Anyway, don't get confused. I gave my captors numbers because I didn't know their names.

The leader's voice crackled through the phone, his irritation evident, "You better not be wasting my time."

Captor 2 held his phone and called his boss, "Boss, this guy's a real pain in the ass."

Captor 3 said, "This guy's brother ain't doing us any favors. He's putting up a hell of a fight."

Actually, they are giving me a hell of a fight, I just want my bracelet back, is that too much? The small, precious bracelet that used to be on my wrist-a token of my mother's love, a reminder of safety and happiness. I want it!

The leader angrily ordered, "Kill the kid."

A shiver ran down my spine as I saw Captor 2 pulling a gun and pointing it towards me.

I winced as I heard my brother's voice in the background, desperately pleading for my safety, "Please, don't hurt him! We can fix the machine, just give us a little more time!"

Shh, don't beg, Luca. We never beg!

But then an idea sparked. Between their gloating, I managed a sly grin and dropped the bombshell. I said that it requires dual coding and I offered my assistance.

Hopefully, the Leader got convinced and asked them to bring me to him.

Finally I'll see bubba! I missed him!

As they hung up, Captor 4 confusedly grabbed my shirt and asked, "What the hell are you talking about?"

I couldn't wipe my smirk off my face and said, "As you heard it needs two coders and it better be from us, it's called the Carnell touch. It's a family secret."

Captor 5 skeptically said, "You're making this up."

"Nope, it's true. You see, you're trying to beat a two-player game with just one player. No wonder you're struggling."

They exchanged uncertain glances. Captor 2 scratched his head, "Really?"

"Absolutely. We'll fix that machine for you." I gave them the most innocent look they have ever seen.

"Dual coding? Is that even a thing?" Captor 3 asked after he processed the whole little info I gave.

I nodded convincingly, "Trust me. I saw it in a tech magazine once. Cutting-edge stuff. You guys probably wouldn't get it. It's advanced, next-level hacker stuff. But if you want your precious machine working, you'll have to let me find my partner in crime."

"Just come!" Captor 1 said as he guided me out of the cell.

I prayed they bought my bluff and Luca wouldn't be the LOCA him as usual. Come on, Luca, play along!

The harsh overhead lights flickered as Captor 1 and Captor 2 guided me down the corridor while the other three walked behind me. The echoes of my own footsteps mixed with theirs, the anticipation of seeing Luca clawed at me, but as we approached the room where he was held, a sudden surge hit me.