Chapter Twenty-one

Two months.......two months have gone by since we drifted apart. I knew that night it will be our last. The last chance I could hug her. The moment she stepped in her apartment that night I know something is wrong. I felt it also when she cried silently in my neck. I'm not dumb that she's in a tight position. I thought she will share her burden but she never did. 

She let me go. 

She wrote a letter for me. When I woke up that morning, I read it, and it shattered me. I can still clearly remember the last line of the letter.

"I love you but I cannot wage war against destiny."

That's what it says. It was sad to think about it when in fact kakasimula pa lang namin. In that letter too was her first time saying I love you to me. 

"You're spacing out again." Mary tapped me in the shoulder to bring me back to reality. 

"Yeah what were you saying?" We are here in the canteen of the University to eat lunch since Mary wants to eat here when I told her that we should eat outside. 

"I am saying that we should have a family dinner with your family and mine." I looked at her with a creased forehead. 

"And why is that?" I asked in my monotonous tone. 

"Nakalimutan mo? Diba ikakasal ka na kay Kuya?" Mukhang sinadya niya itong lakasan dahil nakita ko sa peripheral vision ko na dumaan sa harapan namin si Cy kasama ang manliligaw o nobyo niya. Hindi ko alam kung ano ba talaga sila. The moment she left me in her apartment I took it as a sign that she doesn't want me to be part of her life. After that I decided to switch loads with Mary, because of my connection here in the University they let me. I am no longer her Set Theory and Logic instructor. 

Kinurot ko naman ang gilid ni Mary ng mapansin kong napahinto ng ilang sandali si Cy. 

"Serves her right for letting you go." Bulong ni Mary sa kawalan pero rinig ko iyon dahil magkatabi kami. 

"She has reason why she left." I defended her. My bestfriend cocked her head. 

"Really? And didn't bother to tell you?" 

"Let her be." I dismissed the topic but Mary wouldn't let me. 

"You did fall in that Fuentes." Napapailing niyang sabi pero hindi ko na ito pinatulan pa at tinuloy ko na lang ang pagkain ko. In my place I can see her clearly because she is just two tables away in front of us. 

I can see clearly how that engineering guy take care of her. Oh that should be me. I should be the one cooking her meals, buying her lunch and wiping her sweat. That should be me. Bitterness seeped in my bones that I can no longer look at them without feeling any pain. 

"You should stop staring at them Liss." Mary said as she waved her fork like a wand in the air. 

"Can't help it. I miss her." I said truthfully but I received a smirk from my friend. 

"Marupok, ginayuma ka ba niya?" Natatawa niyang tanong habang ang tingin ay nasa dalawang magkasintahan na nasa harapan namin. 

"About kanina yung sinabi mong dinner with fam seryoso ba iyon?" Tanong ko kay Mary dahil papalabas na kami ng University. I fixed my seatbelt as she maneuvered the car. 

"Yep, my mom wants to throw a party dahil magpapakasal na si Kuya. This time for real na." Ani ni Mary na may ngiti sa labi kaya napangiti narin ako. Our plan did work. Mark gained courage to face his family and come out that he is a gay. Tanggap naman iyon ng pamilya niya pero hindi namin iyon iniexpect. We thought they will get mad about it that's why for weeks I have pretended to be her fiance kahit may fiance naman ito na nasa New York that time. 

"That's good news. When is the wedding?" 

"Probably before this month end. It's December they don't want their wedding to be held next year." Tumango naman ako sa sinabi niya. I should shop for a gift. 

"When is the dinner?" 

"Tomorrow night. I already told Tita and Tito about it since I know you are too occupied with your broken heart." She scoffed and gave me a glare. Pinantayan ko naman ito. 

"I know she has reason why she left. I'll just wait that the destiny will allow us to intersect again." I said in a low tone of voice. It was almost a whisper. 

"You never been intersected in the first place tho." Mary utter and that made me smile in bitterness. 

"We were an almost." I replied and placed my gaze outside. How cruel the world can be? This is my first time to feel something real, something amazing, something magical yet in just a span of seconds it vanished. 

"Yeah like an asymptote." Mary pointed out and laugh. 

The days were longer than usual. I haven't seen Cyril again for days now. I am walking to the New building because I have class here in room 411. This time was my time with Cy's class but then I switched with Mary so I am handling the BS Math instead of the BS Stat. This is for good right? I am late for ten minutes because I had a meeting with the campus director. She's the bestfriend of my mother. 

As I walked in the hallway I saw her. Kahit likod niya lamang ang nakita ko ay alam kong siya iyon. I followed her when she entered the corner room of this floor. This is not her room. Their assigned room is in the EN Building not the New Building. I hastily went to her direction secretly. Mabuti na lang ang rooms dito sa New Building ay may dalawang pintuan at sa pintuan naman ay may maliit na transparent glass where you can see what is inside. 

The door was closed but when I twisted the knob it wasn't locked. I didn't fully opened it. I don't want to get her attention and her guy. The engineering guy is here. That explains why she enter this room. Sila lang ang tao sa loob. 

I saw the guy took her hand and she let him be. Pain spread within every chamber of my heart. For two months I have accepted it that I can't hold her hand anymore, yet I never readied myself to witness this kind of scene. 

Because of their low volume in conversing, I cannot hear anything. 

"Fuentes." I called her without thinking when I saw the guy was about to kiss her. I couldn't contain the jealousy building inside me anymore. I gave her a burning gaze and I saw how shocked she was to see me standing in the door frame. Of course, she should be shocked.