Preface

The first memory I have is of my mother telling me a story when I was about five years old

It was the story of Astrid, Sköll, and Hati and the story went something like this...

In the realm of the Norse gods, where the vast expanse of icy wilderness met the towering mountains, there lived two wolves named Sköll and Hati. These wolves were not ordinary; they were celestial beings, entrusted with a sacred duty that connected them to the fate of the world.

Sköll, whose name meant "Treachery," was the wolf who chased the sun across the sky. Every day, he pursued the radiant orb as it sailed through the heavens, seeking to devour it and plunge the world into darkness. Hati, on the other hand, was known as "Hate," and his relentless pursuit was aimed at the moon. 

Together, they created the cycle of day and night, a celestial dance that echoed the eternal struggle between light and darkness.

Yet, beyond their celestial duties, Sköll and Hati shared a deeper connection, a bond forged in the cosmic tapestry of fate. 

In the heart of the northern wilderness, there lived a human woman named Astrid. She was a skilled hunter and a wise seer, known for her ability to commune with the spirits of the land.

One fateful night, under the shimmering light of the aurora borealis, Astrid found herself drawn into the ancient forest. There, amidst the towering trees and howling winds, she encountered Sköll and Hati, their eyes gleaming with a celestial light. The wolves, usually fierce and untamed, approached her with an air of familiarity, as if recognizing a kindred spirit.

Astrid, unafraid, felt an inexplicable connection with the celestial wolves. It was a connection that transcended the boundaries of mortal understanding. The wolves, in turn, sensed a profound destiny unfolding. As the northern lights flickered overhead, the bond between Astrid, Sköll, and Hati deepened, woven into the threads of fate.

In the years that followed, Astrid and the celestial wolves became inseparable. She shared her wisdom with them, and they, in turn, bestowed upon her the secrets of the cosmos. Together, they wandered through the vast landscapes of Midgard, forging a connection that echoed through the realms.

However, the cosmic balance was delicate, and the forces of chaos sought to disrupt the harmony. A dark sorcerer, envious of the bond between Astrid and the celestial wolves, sought to sever their connection. 

With dark incantations and twisted spells, he unleashed a shadowy force that threatened to tear them apart. In fear that he would succeed, Astrid took Sköll and Hati to visit Freya in the hopes that she could stop the spells that had been casted.

Sadly, Freya could not undo the dark spells that had been cast upon Astrid and her celestial companions. The enchantments were too powerful, their origins steeped in ancient and forbidden magic. But Freya, known for her unwavering determination, offered Astrid a glimmer of hope.