Chapter Three

"Ella! We await your presence

"Ella! We await your presence. We must depart forthwith if we intend to arrive punctually!" Adrian Camden bellowed up the stairs, standing alongside their parents. Adrian, having returned home merely a few days prior from his sojourns, had timed his arrival perfectly for the upcoming ball.

"What is detaining her so?" Her mother murmured, adjusting her gloves around her elbows while stationed near the exit beside her husband.

No sooner had her words graced the air than Ella descended the staircase. She wore a gown bathed in the softest pastel hues; its bodice adorned with intricate lace. The empire waistline delicately cinched just below the bust, giving way to a full-length skirt that swayed with every step. An off-the-shoulder neckline unveiled a hint of elegance, and subtle embroidery added a touch of refined charm. This perfect dress effortlessly seized attention, marrying timeless grace with subtle allure.

"I am present; now, let us proceed, shall we?" Ella declared, hastening towards the exit. Her mother intercepted her, placing both hands on her shoulders and stroking her arm downward until she clasped Ella's gloved hands.

"You look stunning, Ella," her mother said, emotions palpable in her words and visible in her eyes, as they prepared for the grandeur of the ball.

"Thank you, Mother, but, as Adrian mentioned, if we wish to arrive punctually, we must depart forthwith. Come along now, Mother," Ella declared, moving towards the carriage exit while holding her mother's hand.

Seated in the carriage, Ella and Viscountess Camden awaited Adrian and the Viscount, who followed shortly after.

"I must admit, Ella, you do appear well put together for once," Adrian remarked backhandedly, hoping to provoke a reaction.

"Thank you, Adrian. I would reciprocate, but Mother and Father raised us not to lie," Ella retorted, subtly bruising Adrian's ego. Despite his penchant for vanity, Adrian cared for Ella, though he rarely exhibited it publicly.

"Both of you, this childish behaviour must stop at once." their father says in a hushed tone with authority. "You do look beautiful, I must agree with your mother, Ella," he added.

"Thank you, Father, but neither you nor Mother should harbour expectations for tonight. I am attending only as I promised Rosie and Grace, nothing more," Ella declared, directing her words mainly at her mother, who responded with an eye roll, turning her attention to the scenery outside the window.

The carriage approached a regal fence, a silent sentinel to the duke's estate, adorned with intricate wrought ironwork and ornate filigree. Despite its imposing height, delicate finials and swirling patterns softened its presence.

"Oh, look, we have arrived!" Her mother exclaimed with excitement. As the carriage gently traversed the duke's estate in the hushed stillness of the moonlit night, the landscape unfolded a breathtaking tableau. Moonbeams caressed the meticulously landscaped grounds, revealing stately topiaries and ornate fountains adorned with glistening water droplets.