Chapter Seventeen

The morning sun bathed the Derbyshire countryside in a warm glow, casting long shadows over the rolling hills as Ella and Adrian made their way to the annual Derby event

The morning sun bathed the Derbyshire countryside in a warm glow, casting long shadows over the rolling hills as Ella and Adrian made their way to the annual Derby event. The air was filled with excitement, the hum of lively conversation and the distant clatter of hooves creating an atmosphere of anticipation. Ella felt a thrill of excitement despite her lingering worries, determined to enjoy the day and momentarily forget the troubles that had plagued her.

The Derby grounds were a sea of elegance and energy, with nobles dressed in their finest attire mingling and laughing. The scent of freshly cut grass mixed with the faint aroma of perfume and tobacco, filling the air with a heady sense of occasion.

Adrian, looking particularly dapper in his tailored suit, turned to Ella with a playful smile. "Ella, which horse do you fancy for today's race?"

Ella scanned the field, her eyes settling on a sleek chestnut mare that pranced with an air of confidence. "I quite like the look of Morning Glory," she said thoughtfully. "She has a strong build and looks ready to win."

Adrian chuckled, shaking his head. "Morning Glory? Really? I think Thunderbolt has the better chance. Look at those muscles and the way he holds himself. That's the mark of a true champion."

Ella narrowed her eyes playfully at her brother. "You always go for the obvious choice, Adrian. Just because Thunderbolt looks strong doesn't mean he has the stamina for the entire race."

"And you always go for the underdog," Adrian retorted, his tone teasing but affectionate. "Sometimes strength and power win the day."

They continued to bicker good-naturedly as they walked towards the betting booths, their voices rising in playful argument.

"I'm telling you, Morning Glory is going to surprise everyone," Ella insisted, her eyes sparkling with determination.

"And I'm telling you, Thunderbolt is a sure bet," Adrian countered, crossing his arms with a smug smile.

Their argument grew more animated, drawing the attention of a few gentlemen standing nearby. Unbeknownst to Ella and Adrian, their heated discussion had become a source of amusement for those around them.

One of the gentlemen, a tall man with a jovial expression, finally interrupted. "I must say, I'm inclined to agree with you, sir," he said, nodding at Adrian. "Thunderbolt is a fine choice."

Ella turned to face the speaker, a frown of annoyance crossing her features. Before she could respond, another voice chimed in.

"And I must disagree, for Morning Glory does have the look of a champion."

Ella knew that familiar voice, and her heart skipped a beat as she turned around to see the Duke standing behind her, a slight smile playing on his lips.

"Your Grace," Ella said, her surprise evident in her voice.

The Duke nodded, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Miss Camden, Mr. Camden, it appears I've walked into quite the debate."