Chapter Thirteen

Jeremy and Gabriel entered their aunt's grand manor, the cool air of the countryside clinging to their coats

Jeremy and Gabriel entered their aunt's grand manor, the cool air of the countryside clinging to their coats. As they stepped inside, Gabriel let out a chuckle, shaking his head in mild amusement.

"It's surprising to see Miss Camden up in the countryside," Gabriel remarked, glancing sideways at Jeremy.

Jeremy furrowed his brow in confusion. "What makes you say that?"

Gabriel shrugged, a hint of a grin playing on his lips. "The surprise is very pleasant, but Miss Camden usually resides in London and just London."

Jeremy's curiosity was piqued. "Why do you think she's here?"

Gabriel leaned in slightly, lowering his voice as if sharing a secret. "I've heard from friends, mutuals with Adrian Camden and me, that Adrian has come to stay for a few weeks, maybe months, due to business. Miss Camden must have chaperoned."

Jeremy nodded thoughtfully. "Seems like she has."

Just as he finished speaking, their aunt, Lady Margaret, popped her head out of a nearby room. Her eyes sparkled with curiosity as she walked towards them. "She? And who might this 'she' be?" she inquired with an arched eyebrow.

Gabriel smiled warmly at their aunt. "It seems that Adrian Camden and his sister have decided to reside in Derbyshire in the meantime."

Lady Margaret nodded, a knowing smile spreading across her face. "Yes, I heard from my friends today at the park that they are residing here for the time being. How interesting."

Jeremy watched his aunt with a mixture of affection and curiosity. She was always well-informed, her network of friends and acquaintances spanning the breadth of the county. It was no surprise that she was already aware of the Camden siblings' arrival.

"How was your outing, Aunt Margaret?" Jeremy asked, steering the conversation back to their initial purpose.

"Oh, it was delightful," she replied, waving a hand dismissively. "The park was lively with visitors today. It seems everyone has decided to enjoy the fine weather."

Gabriel chuckled. "I suppose we should be grateful for such pleasant company."

Lady Margaret smiled warmly at her nephews. "Indeed. Now, come along. We have much to discuss over tea."

They followed her into the sitting room, where a tea service was already laid out. The room was filled with the comforting aroma of freshly brewed tea and the soft murmur of conversation. Jeremy couldn't help but feel a sense of contentment as he settled into one of the plush chairs, the weight of his travels beginning to lift.

As they sipped their tea, Lady Margaret regaled them with stories of the local gossip and the latest happenings in the county. Jeremy listened with half an ear, his thoughts drifting back to the park and his unexpected encounter with Ella Camden. He couldn't quite shake the image of her graceful form and the way her eyes had met his with such clarity.