CHAPTER-28 ARE YOU DRUNK

Next day he left with his bike early in the morning. He used to this many times, whenever he got upset, he would go out of the house for hours. But when he didn't come even after 9 in the night, we became worried. We dialled his no. several times and it was switched off, we called every friend of his that we knew but he was not with any of them neither he did contact any of them that day. Even Vaibhav Bahiya didn't know his whereabout, he had been also trying his no. that entire evening, Karan called Vaibhav Bhaiya that morning but he was getting late for his workplace so he told him they will talk in the evening. At last, we had to file complaint to the police, she remembered that fateful night. 

After 3 days Police told us, they found his bike in nearby river and we went to the spot. After searching for 7 hours, they found him. I and his Dadaji and Randheer Chachaji, our neighbor, were there. We saw when they pulled out his body from water, we were not able to recognize him. Had it not been for his clothes and wallet with id cards, we might not had recognized him, she shivered a little remembering that scene and unconsciously pulled her hands away from his. Aalekh now understood why she got panicked and ran away after seeing the lake. He felt a little guilty about taking her there, he didn't know anything though. He looked at their hands which were no longer entwined and then looked at her face, she was looking at nowhere. 

Everyone thought that was an accident as our neighbors had known about him going to long drive on his bike occasionally, thus police didn't create much of a fuss. We also tried hard to believe the same while the other possibility was making our hearts tremble, she said.

After his Tehrvin, everyone left. 2 days after his Tehrvin I opened his laptop and there was a word file on his display I opened it and there were just 5 words in that file. I am sorry. I quit. these 5 words were enough to break whatever we were holding. His mother was inconsolable and his grandfather suffered heart attack. He was not talking to me and Maa was in no condition to take care of him so we had to ask Kanika Di to come back, she had left just a day ago. Jeevan Jijaji hadn't come for his funeral as they had a little daughter and someone had to stay with her. Kanika Di had to stay for a week or so, she spoke about how Karan's family fell apart after his demise, how the woman who always took care of every little thing of every family member, didn't even look at her father-in-law when he was almost on the verge of death, how she herself was incapable of handling things alone.

Well life goes on, slowly we had to get back to normalcy. But then his grandfather took another absurd step, within a month he fixed my marriage with the son of one of his acquaintances as he thought he will not live long and he wanted to settle down my life. And I came to know only after they had been invited ou.... his home. I flatly refused in front of everyone and I don't know whether his ego got hurt or what, but he said I could only enter his house if I say yes to this marriage. I still don't understand how a person can make the same mistake after facing the drastic consequence for the first time, she told her side while the old man's side, however, was different.

The old man lived his entire life with those patriarchal thinking and society, he thought the young lady needed a name of a man, otherwise she will be always under public scrutiny and her character will always be in assessment be it working with colleagues, or while talking to anyone, shopkeepers or plumber or male neighbor or anyone and everyone. All he wanted was for her to get remarried with a decent man while he was still alive so that she could live her life with no baggage of being a widow, no baggage of his mistakes and no one could take advantage of not having a man by her side. 

I spent 2 nights in the courtyard of that house, he was courteous enough to not to through me out from main gate though. Aah, it was not that bad though, it was summer and we often used to sleep there. His mother gave me food but I was too stubborn to have anything until they let me in the house. I didn't have my phone with me, so I borrowed phone from a neighbor saying my phone broke and no one is home, I called my Tauji again and told him everything and like before he told me to obey my in-laws. Sometimes I think if my cousins had known about my situation, they might had convinced their parents or at least tried for me, she sighed.